BNP Candidate evicted from hustings meeting

Nobody has stated that they want the BNPee to be stifled, most people agree that the electorate should be allowed to hear their real views.

The problem is that whenever they get a platform, such as Question Time, they evade all questions about their filthy racist views and the other panel members spend too much time trying to expose their filthy racist views. The solution, don't even bother inviting them, they just spoil everything.

Perhaps it's because those of a left tendency are a tad obsessed with specific areas of the BNP's ideals, and aren't willing to have a sensible discussion without making the whole affair heated and emotive?

Seems to me theres a bit of hypocrasy going on here. One minute its demands for free speech and democracy. Then its the bnp can choose or keep out who they want?

Im sure youll all be allowing the radical muslims a platform to shout at returning servicemen, free speech and all that?

I believe they are allowed to shout what they wish ,including it seems racial hatred.

I regard peacefully highlighting a serious democratic deficit at the hustings, which potentially might effect the outcome of the election, as the very definition of the 'good citizen'.

Are you seriously suggesting that the BNP candidate has any change whatsoever of being elected in Oldham? :loopy:

John X

Are you seriously suggesting that the BNP candidate has any change whatsoever of being elected in Oldham? :loopy:

John X

I'm seriously suggesting that the BNP candidate has much more chance of being elected than either the Green party or UKIP candidates, both of whom were invited to appear on the hustings platform.

Hang on! In the space of a few short sentences you now adopt an attitude of not inviting the BNP to speak publicly - 'no platform' - thus stifling a legal and democratic political party...

Oh dear, deliberately misreading what I wrote doesn't help your cause. I suggested that the reason the BNPiss don't get invited is that people get hung up on their filthy racism and any other debate is impossible. It's far easier just not inviting them to a meeting than it is trying to ask them to explain their filthy racist policies or asking people to not continually press them to explain their filthy racist policies.

I'm seriously suggesting that the BNP candidate has much more chance of being elected than either the Green party or UKIP candidates, both of whom were invited to appear on the hustings platform.

I'll take that as a 'no' then.

Which makes a nonsense of your claim that it 'potentially might effect the outcome of the election.'

John X

Why not invite him to speak at your next AGM-take the wind out of his sails and prove your commitment to democracy?

So, in your view, regularly contesting elections and ensuring BNP candidate's face inspection by the electorate at hustings events (when permitted by the Labour party) does not prove a "commitment to democracy"?

I wonder why the 'Unite Against Fascism' and 'Hope Not Hate' groups never contest elections? I have heard some of their members state that they despise democracy and hate it that ordinary people are able to vote...

Archived