The estate where only one person has a full-time job

Anyone familiar with Washwood Heath in Birmingham will not be surprised by this. The socio-demographic characteristics of the Cottsmeadow estate make those of the Chatsworth estate in 'Shameless' resemble Whirlow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345766/Britains-workshy-community-Cottsmeadow-Estate-Birmingham.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I do think there has been some poetic journalistic slant on this story:

"Among 105 people who could hold jobs, forklift truck driver James Beards is believed to be the only resident who is in full-time employment.

Figures from the Department for Work and Pensions reveal that among residents:

50 are listed as on the dole,

30 are signed off sick and get incapacity benefits

20 pocket lone-parent payments

and five claim other handouts."

Perhaps some of those listed as 'pocketing lone-parent payments' work part time, and maybe the five others are disabled or working and claiming tax credits.

It is a shocking headline but when you see that the estate is tiny comprising of 105 adults of working age given the current economic climate it's not a total surprise. I would bet there are areas of Sheffield where the same comparison could be made.

I do think there has been some poetic journalistic slant on this story:

"Among 105 people who could hold jobs, forklift truck driver James Beards is believed to be the only resident who is in full-time employment.

Figures from the Department for Work and Pensions reveal that among residents:

50 are listed as on the dole,

30 are signed off sick and get incapacity benefits

20 pocket lone-parent payments

and five claim other handouts."

Perhaps some of those listed as 'pocketing lone-parent payments' work part time, and maybe the five others are disabled or working and claiming tax credits.

It is a shocking headline but when you see that the estate is tiny comprising of 105 adults of working age given the current economic climate it's not a total surprise. I would bet there are areas of Sheffield where the same comparison could be made.

You make some good points, foxy, but the fact remains that only one person out of 105 people of working age has a full-time job. This is as shocking as the headline. You are probably right that there are some areas of Sheffield which are almost equally workless.

Anyone familiar with Washwood Heath in Birmingham will not be surprised by this. The socio-demographic characteristics of the Cottsmeadow estate make those of the Chatsworth estate in 'Shameless' resemble Whirlow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345766/Britains-workshy-community-Cottsmeadow-Estate-Birmingham.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Thats a very frightening story, it's a shame the hard working Brits have to read something like this .

Thats a very frightening story, it's a shame the hard working Brits have to read something like this .

Dunt bother me in the slightest. Wevver it be scrotes, bankers or tax men, their all the same and have a negative effect on me bank balance.

Surely it should read

Among 75 people who could hold jobs, forklift truck driver James Beards is believed to be the only resident who is in full-time employment.

Or is the Daily Mail accusing each and every one of the 30 incapacity benefits claimants of benefit fraud?

Also

"Some Cottsmeadow residents who have jobs may have been left out by mistake, or have moved in at a later date. "

So I see that doesn't say "who MAY have jobs", it says "who HAVE jobs"

Therefore the story is, by the Daily Mails own admission (albeit clevely positioned close to a photo so it isn't as clear as it could be) quite untrue and a non-story

Surely it should read

Or is the Daily Mail accusing each and every one of the 30 incapacity benefits claimants of benefit fraud?

Also

"Some Cottsmeadow residents who have jobs may have been left out by mistake, or have moved in at a later date. "

So I see that doesn't say "who MAY have jobs", it says "who HAVE jobs"

Your attempt at textual exegesis is less than convincing, not least because it fails to catch a glimpse of the big elephant lumbering about the estate, the elephant being the fact that almost 30% of the residents of this estate are deemed to be unfit for work. What, getting on for 1 in 3 people on the estate can't work because they are too ill? I think will avoid Washwood Heath in the future, on the grounds that i might be suddenly struck down by some mysterious illness.

Your attempt at textual exegesis is less than convincing, not least because it fails to catch a glimpse of the big elephant lumbering about the estate, the elephant being the fact that almost 30% of the residents of this estate are deemed to be unfit for work. What, getting on for 1 in 3 people on the estate can't work because they are too ill? I think will avoid Washwood Heath in the future, on the grounds that i might be suddenly struck down by some mysterious illness.

The link between poverty and ill-health is very well defined LordC, as I'm sure you're aware.

Archived