The estate where only one person has a full-time job

The link between poverty and ill-health is very well defined LordC, as I'm sure you're aware.

There is indeed a link between poverty and ill-health, but there is in my view also a link between the claim of 'ill-health' and access to the benefit system, not least because if successful such claimants will receive more benefit perks than dole claimants.

There is indeed a link between poverty and ill-health, but there is in my view also a link between the claim of 'ill-health' and access to the benefit system, not least because if successful such claimants will receive more benefit perks than dole claimants.

I'd say it's the same link. only 'poor' people really go out of their way to cheat the system of benefits. you never get millionaires tweaking benefits. most of these people would be worse off working so do the next best thing. this is more on a 'broken system' I'd say rather than these people. if you can you will. human nature.

I'd say it's the same link. only 'poor' people really go out of their way to cheat the system of benefits. you never get millionaires tweaking benefits. most of these people would be worse off working so do the next best thing. this is more on a 'broken system' I'd say rather than these people. if you can you will. human nature.

'If you can, you will' - you make a good point here.

Indeed, it explains the principal fault at the heart of our benefit system, i.e. ease of access to benefits. They can and so they do.

'If you can, you will' - you make a good point here.

Indeed, it explains the principal fault at the heart of our benefit system, i.e. ease of access to benefits. They can and so they do.

that applies for billionaires who do all kinds of tricks to save on millions of taxes. i understand this is far from the same but it's not a uniquely 'benefits cheats' thing. the whole system, beginning with a sense of responsibility, for yourself and others, needs to be over hauled.

that applies for billionaires who do all kinds of tricks to save on millions of taxes. i understand this is far from the same but it's not a uniquely 'benefits cheats' thing. the whole system, beginning with a sense of responsibility, for yourself and others, needs to be over hauled.

Many, if not most, of these billionaires do contribute substantial amounts in taxes and also through their endeavours create employment and economic growth. Conversely, many of these benefit claimants contribute nothing.

Many, if not most, of these billionaires do contribute substantial amounts in taxes and also through their endeavours create employment and economic growth. Conversely, many of these benefit claimants contribute nothing.

Perhaps not in financial terms no - but as I'm sure you know Chaverley, the worth or value of people cannot and should not be measured on wealth alone. People are so much more than what they earn or pay wpuldn't you agree?

no i agree with that totally, money wise. i was just saying that the idea of getting all you can and pushing a systems to the limit is everywhere. but, yeah, rather the billionaire non dom than the benefit cheat.

Perhaps not in financial terms no - but as I'm sure you know Chaverley, the worth or value of people cannot and should not be measured on wealth alone. People are so much more than what they earn or pay wpuldn't you agree?

I was merely responding to a specific point about relative financial contributions to society (or lack of them).

Archived