What would you do if something happened to stop the flow of all oil?

Hi Liza D.

Just had a quick search and it seems to have some good reviews, says the plot is plausible! As I like thrillers and this is fairy cheap I will give it a go. I'm writing a thriller and some sci-fi so its good to read other stuff but don't like reading much at the moment as I wish my ideas to come from me if you know what I mean.

There is also a follow up book called "Afterlight" this carries the story on ten years after the event, also a very good book but not as shocking as the first.

Took me a day to read each book as couldn't put them down once I started.

A simple analogy would be to compare oil to carlsberg and drinking habits.

Say a steam car is your port and coal is a premium vodka. Other energy forms are mead and wine etc.

At the minute Carlsberg is dead cheap, so people drink it.

However if was more expensive, people would start drinking the port, vodka etc.

Peak oil could be a good thing for the masses.

It will drastically increase the value of labour.

People will turn to coal, syngas produced from coal, steam cars etc. More labour intensive practices.

Say a steam car is your port and coal is a premium vodka. Other energy forms are mead and wine etc.

People will turn to coal, syngas produced from coal, steam cars etc. More labour intensive practices.

I'm not asking about "Peak oil" which would still mean we had some. What would you do if it was suddenly announced on the news that all the refinerys had been simultaneously blown up so no more oil?

I'm not asking about "Peak oil" which would still mean we had some. What would you do if it was suddenly announced on the news that all the refinerys had been simultaneously blown up so no more oil?

I suppose it would depend on how things panned out.

I wouldn't be overly worried, I have friends that could supply me with a tonne of pork and I have about 3 months food reserves at home, I could use water sparingly if needed, but there is a river not far away for me to collect water if needed. I could probably make a lot of money by collecting water

Local power plant is coal fired and coal can be transported by rail, the local area is abundant in coal so electricity wouldn't be too much of a problem. And if it was, then I'd not be watching TV or on the computer for a while and would get lots done.

There are farms nearby, they would offer employment and stable food supply.

What a dilemma! Global warming caused by the burning of fossil fuels is rapidly destroying our planet (so we are told). At the same time, the very practise that brings this situation about is coming to an end. From the planet's perspective, how can that be bad? The exhaustion of the worlds oil reserves is the best thing that could ever happen.

The OP asked what we would do if and when the flow of oil stopped. I think it will be like getting rid of the telly - you can't imagine life without it, at times it may seem life can't go on, the pain of withdrawal may seem unbearable, but ultimately, it's the best thing you'll ever do.

I would continue strongly advocating nuclear power as the only workable short term solution to energy shortages just like I already am.

Bang on the money.

Forget Wind (Solar might one day be viable) and invest in Nuclear.

Develop Hydrogen fuel cell cars, and widen the hydrogen re-filling network.

I heard somewhere that if you cut all services off tomorrow, after 2-3 days people will start to steal, after a week or so people will start to kill for things

People will panic buy first, then steal and then yes I believe they would kill, mostly I think to defend against the stealing.

There wouldn't be any water as no power no water supply. Luckily it rains a lot here, but would people know how to make it suitable to drink.

Archived