What would you do if something happened to stop the flow of all oil?

Bang on the money.

Forget Wind (Solar might one day be viable) and invest in Nuclear.

Develop Hydrogen fuel cell cars, and widen the hydrogen re-filling network.

Shouldn't we also be thinking about producing our own food etc, thus reducing our dependency on it coming from other countries. Delivered using oil.

What about starting our own coal-mines up and working again, the coal is still there it's just cheaper to get it from abroad. Delivered using oil.

No oil, no deliveries. No food or fuel.

Shouldn't we also be thinking about producing our own food etc, thus reducing our dependency on it coming from other countries. Delivered using oil.

What about starting our own coal-mines up and working again, the coal is still there it's just cheaper to get it from abroad. Delivered using oil.

Agreed, however vehicles can be adapted to run of hydrogen, including HGV / PSV. Please see the link to the recent trial in London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/6585.aspx

My partner started to make his own hydrogen from water...! he was going to use it to power a generator....grow our own veg etc..its the solar flares he's more worried about tho.....!If the electirc goes...we're buggered!

I am taking a herbalist course so that in the event of anything happening, I will be able to treat the family...hopefull. have stocked up on medicinal herbs, organic seeds, tins of food, grains and candles batteries etc etc

I might buy that book ya read ...sounds interesting!

My partner started to make his own hydrogen from water...! he was going to use it to power a generator....grow our own veg etc..its the solar flares he's more worried about tho.....!If the electirc goes...we're buggered!

I am taking a herbalist course so that in the event of anything happening, I will be able to treat the family...hopefull. have stocked up on medicinal herbs, organic seeds, tins of food, grains and candles batteries etc etc

I do hope you're joking or mistaken.

Hydrogen is one of the most volatile gases around and in it's pressurised, liquid form, can be pretty unpredictable.

Suppose if I see a mushroom cloud in Sheffield we'll have a rough idea who it is!

Yesterday I went shopping and when I came home I had bought at least six items I probably wouldn't have bought before reading the book. Certain tins of food and cheap cleaning stuff plus extra first aid stuff, oh and an extra touch plus more batteries.

Have also been looking at those portable wind up lights that don't need batteries.

It's amazing really just how much we do take for granted.

With our minimum wage and laws food will more then double over night

Doomsday books etc have been around for hundreds of years predicting where doomed etc. I suggest you read 'The Engineer' or Scientist magazines etc. Current world oil stock levels are still predicted to be 200+ years left. Nuclear energy is coming on leaps and bounds which is why majority of france's electricity is now nuclear provided and why new stations will be commisioned for the UK. Hybrid cars etc are developing nicely. The East/ middle east etc all need the west as trading partners or their economy's will go belly up. The world will keep jogging along pretty nicely unless for some unexpected event (ie Solar flares), in which case a few extra tins and a couple of carrots in back garden will be the least of everyones worries.

Me, I'll carry on sitting in my central heated house making the weekly big shop as always.

With our minimum wage and laws food will more then double over night

We used to produce our own food and fuel etc and it was always cheaper to buy British.

Then we joined the EU and everything went to ****.

If more people only bought British then the demand would be higher therefore reducing the price.

I'm not saying all our stuff should be home grown but we ought not to be paying our farmers just to leave their fields fallow.

Archived