32 months for student who chucked the fire extinguisher.

a criminal act, yes. damage of property, maybe, but not to kill anyone. if he had actually killed someone, and he had a good lawyer the lawyer would probably have managed to show that his intention wasn't to kill and he might have gotten the same amount of time. as we know, some people have walked from manslaughter.

I think any lawyer would have been hard pressed to mount a defence for this individual, unless of course he could have proved he was merely attempting to help put out a fire on the ground floor with as little delay as possible.

It is the premeditation and recklessness of his action and possible consequences of it that will have decided his sentence most probably.

Imagine this scenario,

Police....Why did you take the fire extinguisher onto the roof.

Suspect...Not sure.

Police....Did you throw the fire extinguisher off the roof to the ground below where there was a crowd of people ?

Suspect... Yes.

Police......What do you think the result would have been if the fire extinguisher had hit one of those people below on the head?

Suspect...Killed them.

not exactly. that same scenario would play out if someone fell asleep on the wheel coz they were tired. that you know what you action MIGHT result in just adds recklessness to your charge but what you actually intended to do is the main thing. this is the law in that case as i understand. but might be wrong.

Statistics and data, give the real picture, not just reasearch and theory.

If mobile phone usage was more dangerous than drink driving, there would be far more many casualties and deaths casued by drivers using their mobile phones than drink drivers. .

No there wouldn't, because of the disparity in rates, which the research makes explicit and which you yourself quoted.

I think any lawyer would have been hard pressed to mount a defence for this individual, unless of course he could have proved he was merely attempting to help put out a fire on the ground floor with as little delay as possible.

:hihi::hihi: good point. but people have gotten off with manslaughter because the lawyer simply has to make the jury doubt that the defendant intended to kill. which would be too hard in this case. kid has no priors and there's no real motive for him to want to kill anyone. unless he saw his ex somewhere down there.

seriously though, i still say the kid got it bad. like i said, we all have done some of the same stupid stunts, or worse, but he was just caught on camera, in public.

No there wouldn't, because of the disparity in rates, which the research makes explicit and which you yourself quoted.

Never mind the reasearch. Let's stick to facts.

The ban on driving whilst using a phone was in 2003 was it not?

So since 2003 it has been a specific offence. Therefor since 2003, any accident involving injuries or fatalities caused by mobile phone usage would have been recorded as such, just as accidents caused by drink drivers are.

So where are the stats to support the theory that mobile phone usage whilst driving is more dangerous than drink driving?

not exactly. that same scenario would play out if someone fell asleep on the wheel coz they were tired. that you know what you action MIGHT result in just adds recklessness to your charge but what you actually intended to do is the main thing. this is the law in that case as i understand. but might be wrong.

the answer to the first question would be different

why did you drive the car

to get from A-B

a very different answer to the fire extinguisher answer

Archived