32 months for student who chucked the fire extinguisher.

How do you know nothing happens? How do you know none of those people ended up in the criminal justice system? Unless police and the rest of the criminal justice system can claim a 100% success rate at detecting and dealing with crime, it's inevitable some get away with it, that's not a reason to not punish those that are caught.

i surmise nothing happens because some carry on posting videos. and, yes, some did end up locked up. the point is it's not so much WHAT the kid did or WHY that he got it so bad. it's WHERE he did it, and WHEN he did it. that's why he got it so bad and some who do worse get off lightly.

obviously no system can claim 100% success, unless it's a country with one resident, but that here it was more justice had to be seen to be done took precedence over justice being done.

i surmise nothing happens because some carry on posting videos. and, yes, some did end up locked up. the point is it's not so much WHAT the kid did or WHY that he got it so bad. it's WHERE he did it, and WHEN he did it. that's why he got it so bad and some who do worse get off lightly.

obviously no system can claim 100% success, unless it's a country with one resident, but that here it was more justice had to be seen to be done took precedence over justice being done.

He did do it whilst he knew he would be on camera and he only admitted it after he or his mother saw a very clear picture of himself in the news.

He really had no choice other than to plead guilty, in cases where the police need to obtain evidence it will obviously be more difficult to get a conviction, although I clearly remember some tit filming himself speeding and posting it on youtube he got convicted:loopy::hihi: got to love stupid people

He did do it whilst he knew he would be on camera and he only admitted it after he or his mother saw a very clear picture of himself in the news.

He really had no choice other than to plead guilty, in cases where the police need to obtain evidence it will obviously be more difficult to get a conviction, although I clearly remember some tit filming himself speeding and posting it on youtube he got convicted:loopy::hihi: got to love stupid people

that was my point. you get all sorts doing stupid things and posting them. we know there's police presence on the web. but because there's no national news it goes silent. kid was just caught at the wrong place.

I've posted plenty of examples on this very thread.

To prove what though? That some people get away with commiting crimes? We already know that as no criminal justice system could claim 100% success.

But that situation cannot be used to assume all criminality that one might witness or even see second hand on YouTube or other media, never ends up in the criminal justice system.

That people kill someone by being just as negligent as the student protester and receive a lesser penalty.

You've posted examples of people that should have possibly been given stiffer sentances, not of instances of criminality that has gone undetected and haven't entered the justice system, ie where "nothing happens".

kid was just caught at the wrong place.

... and so was Peter Sutcliffe in January 1981. :huh:

It seems odd that people seem to be defending him because other people get away with things, or get lighter sentences.

If you choose to commit a dangerous criminal offence in front of the TV cameras it seems more likely that you are going to get caught. The fact that other criminals get sentences that, in isolation, seem light or heavy have no relevance as to whether 32 months is too light or heavy in this case.

You've posted examples of people that should have possibly been given stiffer sentances, not of instances of criminality that has gone undetected and haven't entered the justice system, ie "nothing happens".

Nope, I've posted examples where somebody's been killed and nothing happens.

Three times.

Archived