32 months for student who chucked the fire extinguisher.

as is always the case. and while we have to abide by what the courts say we all know that they get things wrong some time.

he's not gonna get raped(it's very rare in the UK prison system) and he will only do half at the most, but the message sent by this sentence, i think, is the wrong one to the people it was aimed at. all they've done is to get students and other protesters to sit up and say 'victimization'. they always speak of the impetuousness of youth and that 'moments of madness' should not have to haunt someone forever. this kid sounds to me like jail is gonna mess him up some. i don't know what he was studying but let's hope whatever it is he wants to do won't judge him by his criminal record.

Anyone who thows a heavy object into a crowd of people is already messed up.

He will probably have to say goodbye to a University degree as I suspect many Universities will now refuse to take him.

Very similar crimes actually, the point being when there is a lack of consistently in how the courts treat reckless stupidity that runs the real risk of hurting or killing someone then there is no real deterrent.

But the crimes being talked of in comparison to the student fire extinguisher thrower are not similar at all.

With respect , you are the one who brought drivers into this debate , a debate which has NOTHING to do with motorists/ drivers .

Nope, the link was made in the OP, the link's to the Evening Standard website.

But you quoted it in your OP. :loopy:

Of course I did, because many people have noted the wild disparity in sentencing, that's the whole point.

There is no mention IN THE ARTICLE at all linked to in the OP of drunk drivers, speeding drivers or other drivers. The only mention is in the comments section at the bottom of the page. So Spindrifts linking the two and then providing a hyperlink to show the link between the two, is to nothing more than other peoples ill informed opinions.

What were the mitigating circumstances in Simon Jones death?

No one is talking about the in's and out's of each and every crime the UK has ever seen. You made a point that sentences vary and i explained why that is.

I have no idea about the specific's of simon jones's case and it' unlikely you do either there may have been circumstances there may not have been but i wasn't quoting specific cases i was responding to your point

Anyone who thows a heavy object into a crowd of people is already messed up.

He will probably have to say goodbye to a University career as I suspect many Universities will now refuse to take him.

no, universities do take you even if you have a criminal record, just depends on what course he wanted to do.

But the crimes being talked of in comparison to the student fire extinguisher thrower are not similar at all.

But neither are the murder/manslaughter fictional genre's that people keep conjuring because he threw a fire extinguisher.

Proof has been given that the crimes that people are conjuring up, I.E. murder, accidental death, manslaughter and so forth have lower sentences and the higher ones are not by much.

Wife murders husband with scissors she gets 18months more than boy who throws extinguisher off a building that killed no one.

These are not make believe facts I put forward like the imaginary ifs and cudav's (<---my word just coined it, meaning could have) that have been presented thus far.

Ought cudav happened.

no, universities do take you even if you have a criminal record, just depends on what course he wanted to do.

If someone is convicted of violence etc its unlikely he'll get on. Uni's may still take him but it will be tough for him. Then when he comes to get a job, unless it's a "fire extinguisher thrower" he will struggle again

Archived