£2000 bounty on illegal immigrants, cash in.

The fact is that we're not the nearest/first safe country which is where they are legally supposed to go to and then if they wish they can apply to move to any country that will accept them.

Most arrive here by plane at Heathrow. Planes aren't noted for stopping en-route.

originally posted by longcol.

Oh yes you could, you could point out that all the countries given independence have had it long enough to prosper but most have gone down the pan through corruption Zimbabwe being a prime example, the state Zimbabwe finds itself in is nothing to do with white farmers, that is just a typical excuse.

this one could go round in circles. just, again, consider that the type of democracy you have here has taken centuries to built, and you worked on it from the ground up, not inherited someone else's idea of what was best for you then had to tweak it.

ps- i do agree with you very much, to a point, that part of, and, maybe, most, of the fault lies with greedy politicians in Africa and elsewhere. but to say the former colonial powers played no part or that 'enough time has passed' is just plain wrong.

One thing I do think is important is to move the asylum system more to a UN thing. That way we can more effectively deal with the issus that cause genuine assylum seekers.

As an idea, a country which generates over 100 genuine asylum seekers is supended from the UN. No voting rights for 5 years. Over 1000 and it is illegal to trade with that former UN country. Over 10,000 and the UN is mandated to provide troops to overthrow the regime and establish democracy.

Dealing with the source of the problem is the key.

One thing I do think is important is to move the asylum system more to a UN thing. That way we can more effectively deal with the issus that cause genuine assylum seekers.

As an idea, a country which generates over 100 genuine asylum seekers is supended from the UN. No voting rights for 5 years. Over 1000 and it is illegal to trade with that former UN country. Over 10,000 and the UN is mandated to provide troops to overthrow the regime and establish democracy.

Dealing with the source of the problem is the key.

i agree with that. all of it. not sure they'd agree with just a number, though. different country sizes, populations etc. maybe a percentage. i would want it to be something like 0.00001% or something like that. but i agree with the principle.

of course the question of whether sanctions would harm those they aim to protect would be raised. but it would be a better system than what's there at the moment.

If I genuinely knew that someone I knew was an illegal immigrant I would like to think I'd warn them indirectly I knew then grass them up.

In practice (and this has happened) I wouldn't actually say anything and hope somebody else would cath them but feel years feeling cross abotu them driving down the wages for legal workers. In all honesty I would never have the guts to do anything about it.

When you see the immigrant community cashing in from this simply because they are better placed to judge who is legal and who isn't then guess who will be the first to moan about that as being unfair.....they come here and take our right to shop others.....:hihi:

Your post made me laugh and the sad part is it's probably true :).

Archived