Bankers win again

So the govt wont do anything as they are scared of the people in the City moving abroad. Why do we care, these people have put us in this mess, so let them go. Vince Cable who WAS going to take them to task was soon shifted, funny about the timing of his indiscretion being made public.

So its up to us, how many of you would leave your bank for an independant Building Society, or will you let them get away with it. Why should they get bonuses, no one I know gets a bonus for their work!!!

As numerous people have pointed out their tax bills keep us afloat in the UK. Yes they caused a huge recession but the thing with a capitalist society is, the power lies with he who has most money and unfortunately for us the banks have the money and therefore the power.

If they left, the UK economy would simply disintegrate

As numerous people have pointed out their tax bills keep us afloat in the UK. Yes they caused a huge recession but the thing with a capitalist society is, the power lies with he who has most money and unfortunately for us the banks have the money and therefore the power.

If who left?

Most of them avoid tax

Unfortunately, it's not just bad fortune, because a debt-based economy will always put the power in the bankers' hands. That's why they fight to keep it that way.

So the govt wont do anything as they are scared of the people in the City moving abroad. Why do we care, these people have put us in this mess, so let them go. Vince Cable who WAS going to take them to task was soon shifted, funny about the timing of his indiscretion being made public.

So its up to us, how many of you would leave your bank for an independant Building Society, or will you let them get away with it. Why should they get bonuses, no one I know gets a bonus for their work!!!

I don't think the gov should take any notice of those threats, I think the banks are scaremongering to get their own way.

They sure could move abroad, but imagine the costs and hassle involved in moving an entire HQ, it would be phenomenal, and all for the sake of a bit of wage restaint.

I once heard Cable on about taxing them the maximum amount possible without pushing them abroad, the coalition need to do this or they will lose a huge amount of credibility.

:o

What you mean they still have some left.

Lol yes I still think they have some, they've had some difficult decisions to make that couldn't be avoided, but those decisions are easier to argue because you can always argue about income, expenditure and balancing the books etc. They'll have more testing times ahead, especially with the bank bonuses because there are some strong moral issues at play. The public rightly demand that the banks that we bailed out should pay every penny back, not just for the sake of the pounds and pennies I think the government have a big moral obligation to given all the job losses they caused, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it and what the public reaction will be if they fail to act.

I personally think the earning potential is obscene, but removing that personal view.

How many workers have ever been asked to repay salaries or bonusses when firms have liquidated with millions of pounds of debt?

Did the individuals responsible actually cause the crash? Unprovable om an individual basis.

I do recall however 10 years ago'sih Joe pUblic moaning that people with minimal or no credit rating couldn't get a good deal on mortgages. Trying to get loans with non provable income.

If the demand is there someone will supply it.

I've never understood this agument. Itsn't it the banks as a business that pay this tax not individual bankers who just spend their obscene wealth on private jets and private yauts.

the banks will pay corporation tax on their profits and employers NI on the NIable portions of the salary/bonuses, the individuals will pay income tax and NI on the cash parts of the salary/bonus and capital gains tax when any share component is disposed of.

Archived