BARMY ARMY,who were first?

darell

well since wednesday was first youd presume theyd have a barmy army first?

Sheffield United formed on 22 March 1889

Sheffield wednesday

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months. They played their first match against The Mechanics on 19 October the same year

well since wednesday was first youd presume theyd have a barmy army first?

Sheffield United formed on 22 March 1889

Sheffield wednesday

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months. They played their first match against The Mechanics on 19 October the same year

Thanks for the information,but I think the Barmy Army was formed a little later than 1867.

Guest makapaka
Thanks for the information,but I think the Barmy Army was formed a little later than 1867.

Wednesday were the first. It came from "Atkinsons Barmy Army" in the late 80's early 90's.

It was taken on by England Cricket fans, probably as a result of the Yorkshire contingent at the time.

Blackburn Rovers pinched it, probably from the teams meeting c. 1993 in the cola cup.

There's no dispute between Wednesday and Utd over it, the Blades have never professed to be a Barmy Army, as in their mind its definitely a Wednesday (or Wendy in their words!!) term.

I am a Wednesdayite but United had the first Barmy Army in the late 1970s.

I have always understood, and was first told of this from a Bristol fan, the barmy army was formed by a large group of Blades close season following Yorkshire cricket.

Mid to late 70s, i was often given tales of the train journeys to and from Leeds, my informant is/was a proper sports anorak, he did the 92 club in England(not with one club) he then did the Scotish footy leagues beforE moving on to the rugby grounds !! he followed cricket in the close season but always considered himself a Bristol fan, he left sheffield late 80s after he and a mate were victims of a serious mugging in Sheffield.

I am a Wednesdayite but United had the first Barmy Army in the late 1970s.

I'm also a Wednesdayite and agree it was tóther lot. Remember singing "wheres your Barmy Army now" during Boxing Day Massacre and on many occassions sat on their kop at Lane when they thought they were number one in Sheff.

Archived