2 months in Thailand - Vietnam - Laos

This is something I intend to do next year. Although, my budget/time will be on a drastically less scale. The plan is to fly to Thailand, in which I will spend a week, before heading over into Cambodia and then getting the train down the coast of Vietnam. Still researching at the moment, but will be happy to share knowledge as and when it surfaces.

This is something I intend to do next year. Although, my budget/time will be on a drastically less scale. The plan is to fly to Thailand, in which I will spend a week, before heading over into Cambodia and then getting the train down the coast of Vietnam. Still researching at the moment, but will be happy to share knowledge as and when it surfaces.

As callippo has mentioned. Cambodia has got to be a must if you have the time and are heading that way.

Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to go to Cambodia, my friends did, and they thought it was amazing. They they said the killing fields are very emotional, and a must.

really I would stick to just Thailand and Cambodia for three weeks or less, Vietnam too is a lot to go at. Cambodian infrastructure has improved a lot in the past few years, the roads are a lot better so it's much easier to get around than before.

Has anyone been to Thailand, Vietnam or Laos before?

Me and my girlfriend are going to travelling round the three for 2 months. We are still saving and will hopefully have around £1800 each spending money to live day by day and also pay for accommodation.

Will this be enough for 2 months?

Thanks for any advice!

I think thats plenty! We're doing the same as part of our round the world trip and have budgeted £20 a day. Are you living cheaply? Ie. hostels, street food etc? If so that it will be more than enough.

Will you be doing any Island hopping in Southern Thailand?

I agree with previous posts saying don't try to fit in extra countries, travelling slowly and in more depth always works out cheaper and more fulfilling than travelling quickly trying to see everything at once.

Thanks for the advice :)

We are flying into Bangkok and staying in a hotel for 3 days (just whilst we settle) and then just making it up as we go along heading north to Laos and then eventually round to Vietnam.

If you've only got 3 days try mbk centre,and the weekend market for shopping I recomend jim thomsons house near mbk if you feel like good western food.for a nightout start at cheap charlies soi 11 off sukumvit go round the corner to the pickeld liver run by a bloke from stocks bridge who'll give you instructions for the rest of the evening.if your're confused after cheap charlies..:hihi:sorted

We're flying to Bangkok and then heading up north towards Chang Mai and then heading into Laos.

We're then heading across to Vietnam towards Hanoi and then a bit further east towards Halong Bay and then heading south through Vietnam towards Ho Chi Minh City and then across the Gulf of Thailand (flight) to Phuket and then back up to Bangkok to finish.

There is a lot of travelling involved but we are going for 2 months. Is this realistic or too much?

@Verona - Did you travel by train a lot? If so are the trains fairly cheap?

Is there any specific route you can recommend?

If you hire a boat to stay overnight on halong bay check it out first you get what you pay for there, some of them are filthy, rat infested and bad food.hoi an is worth a look a bit touristy but good at night .if you're going to get clothes made up there I've found its better to take my own material and patterns and make sure its a good tailor ,i've seen some right comical made to mesure garments ,as for oh.oh. oh chi minh city...good luck crossing the roads there.:gag:you'll need it:D

Been loads of times and eaten at street stalls. Never been poorly or had an upset stomach once.

They are also one of the friendliest nationalities you could ever meet.

YOU've been lucky

Thats bad advice to a young couple who have never been to asia before .I've lived and worked there and unless you know the stall ,you're taking a risk ,the thais in the resturants and cafes have some of the cleanist kitchens I've seen ,but the streets stalls have a bad hygine record they have a habit of washing their plates and pots with dirty rags and filthy water not worth the risk

I only got food sick once from food once, iin Cambodia. Once, Out of what must have bewewn at least 1000 street meals.

hygiene standards kitchens in airconditioned restaruants that charge ten times as much can be just as bad as in street stalls JUst assuming they're better because they cost more is spectacularly dumb.. Of course not everybody wants to eat sitting down oin the street in a hot, dusty, noisy, busy city, but that's another matyer entirely.

south east Asia is not like India. Not all that many people report getting laid low with food poisoning. Biggest risk apart from road traffic accident is dengue fever.,

Archived