2 months in Thailand - Vietnam - Laos

We stayed near Mui Ne Beach in vietnam, great weather and a lovely restaurant called Pho68, which was located right next to the quaint little chapel of the Great St. Jongo. Very hospitable people.

Note: if you ever visit the chapel it is customary to wear your shoes on the wrong feet before entering, for good luck/blessings.

I never mentioned their bodies but I accept that your standard of cleanliness is obviously not as high as mine is.

Thais and other south east Asians think European and in particular British standard of personal cleanliness is totally appalling. They think we all stink, but that might be because so many of the tourists haven't got a clue about coping with tropical weather conditions.

for example, they walk far too often, and for far too long, as if they were still back in temperate Europe. Thai people hardly walk anywhere, and get some sort of transportation even if it's only about 400 meters, if they can possibly afford it. It's because they know that if they don't, they'll perspire so much in the heat and humidity, they'll start to stink, like a lot of the tourists, who walk everywhere as if they were going between Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square in a temperature of about 15 degrees instead of about 35.

a lot of tourists then come away with the impression that because they saw Thais taking motorcycle taxis or tuktuks for 400 meter rides, that they are lazy. LOL. What they don't know is that when people from tropical climates come and visit places in cooler ones, they walk around just as much as anybody. Only this time, they aren't going to stink to heaven as a result.

I've travelled right round Thailand in two weeks. I must admit I loved Bangkok, although it's a heavily polluted city. The further up north you go, the less touristy it becomes. Chang Mai I agree is a wonderful place to explore, there are some great markets.

Don't miss the floating market just north of Bangkok. It's an experience!

I went across the border in the Golden Triangle area to Laos, but it was just over the border. There wasn't a lot going on there.

If you get the chance to meet up with some of the tribes who live in the hills then do so. Great photo opportunities!

I ended up in Pattaya at the end of the trip for a couple of days by the beach. I don't recommend this place. It's full of American GIs on shore leave and Thai ladies who will happily attach themselves for a price to you. There's lots of lady boys there too. So if that's what you want then head there, but I found it to be very seedy.

Make sure you get a pair of fisherman's trousers when you're there - very comfortable!

Thats if you don't mind wearing the crotch down by your kneecaps:hihi::hihi:

You're wearing them wrong. Pull them up as normal and double over the extra cloth over the belt.

as every hippie knows thai fisherman pants are an essential fashion statement of your rejection of fashion statements. best worn in western capitalist nations,and an expression of your wish to connect with an ancient beatiful culture that you saw for 2 weeks 2 years ago.as every thai man and women know the pants are made for 3 baht and sold to silly tourists for 2oo baht as a way of creating national unity in giving the locals something to laugh at :hihi:

Archived