Letsby Avenue in Sheffield; is it a joke?

I was looking at a map of the area where I used to work, and noticed that one of the nearby roads is called Letsby Avenue! As tis is the road where the Police have one of their operations centres, I was wondering which came first; the road name or the police presence?

I'm referring to the old joke:

Q. Where do the police live?

A. 999 Letsby Avenue (try saying it outloud if you don't get it!)

From memory the whole area was an open cast mine when this was filled in the airport and buildings was built. It also an access rd layed at the rear. At the time the road had no official name and an officer from the traffic department named it (unofficially).

Some roads on an A to Z don't actually exist but they are included as a sort of copyright check to make sure other map makers aren't just replicating the A to Z and passing it off as their own.

Boring but true.

do you know - i thought you were pulling my leg (sorry) so I googled it and it actually is true...... well well learn something new every day... thank you.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright_Easter_Eggs

Aparntly when the plans for the police operations centre went to the police the road was marked but not named , someone put letsby Avenue on the plans as a joke , it then appeared as the name for the council to approve and it stuck

Its the only one in the country its humerous so whats the problem ?

Some roads on an A to Z don't actually exist but they are included as a sort of copyright check to make sure other map makers aren't just replicating the A to Z and passing it off as their own.

Boring but true.

I saw this on one of Nicholas Crane's programmes about mapmaking ages ago, and it got me wondering: is there one in the Sheffield A-Z and if so, does anyone know which road it is?

I saw this on one of Nicholas Crane's programmes about mapmaking ages ago, and it got me wondering: is there one in the Sheffield A-Z and if so, does anyone know which road it is?

Not the A-Z, but my copy of the OS South Yorkshire street atlas has the mini roundabout on Montgomery Road at the wrong junction.

Archived