Am i too old to change career ?

I am at a stage in my life where i want to change career ( i am 45 this year). I used to do environmental/gardening work some 20 years ago and at the moment i am employed in the security business (not a security guard) i now wish to go back to environmental/gardening work is it too late to retrain or gain employment as i feel that i am to old to stand a chance of employment. Any suggestions welcomed:confused::confused::confused:

Go for it, lifes to short to be doing something you don't enjoy! Retrain whilst doing your current job, then look for employment in that field.

My uncle worked for years as a salesman, and has now retrained as a teacher in a special needs school, he loves it and doesn't regret anything.

Go for it, lifes to short to be doing something you don't enjoy! Retrain whilst doing your current job, then look for employment in that field.

My uncle worked for years as a salesman, and has now retrained as a teacher in a special needs school, he loves it and doesn't regret anything.

I absolutely agree.

One way to get back into environmental/gardening work might be to do some volunteering, that way you'd find out if it still suits you, plus you'd be getting some experience. Contact VAS to find out what opportunities are available at the moment.

Fantastic, good for him x

Due to your age you would still be considered time served however it would be ideal if you could get in touch with some former Employers / Referees who could support your ability in the trade.

The self employed market seems to be saturated at the minute which doesn't give too much scope for long term work, therefore if your currently sat nicely in a long term job I would consider going down the Weekend work route to get you back into the swing of things until the market picks back up, that way your getting back into the swing of things whilst earning a bit extra to put asidfe ready for the big change.

If your going for employment with an existing company your previous experience should stand you in good stead however I recommend sitting a CSCS health & safety course which will help you stand out to potential employers.

Archived