There's crazy Muslims and Lordy there's some crazy Christians!

What bf said is also an insult to the intelligence of his congregation and an assumption about their financial status.

What I dislike is this continual 'head hunting' regardless of whether it is the Royal Family or their neighbours car parking habits. Everyone seems to be fair game.

I try to look at the whole picture while others focus their bile according to their prejudice.

Grahame, you're turning me back to my previous view that you are in fact a dedicated atheist laughing uncontrollably at us from behind your keyboard.

Well done fella you got me again. :thumbsup:

What bf said is also an insult to the intelligence of his congregation and an assumption about their financial status.

What I dislike is this continual 'head hunting' regardless of whether it is the Royal Family or their neighbours car parking habits. Everyone seems to be fair game.

I try to look at the whole picture while others focus their bile according to their prejudice.

G, come on. some things just can't be defended. the 'intelligence' of a 'congregation' that's fixing to picket a nine year old's funeral? really?

His congregation are as bad as he is. They wave the same banners and show up to offend the same mourners.

In other words, it is a classic example of the 'but what about 'sydrome, i.e. the tendency to respond with 'but what about.....' whenever there is a discussion about a particular issue or group. 'Whataboutery' certainly has a strong presence on this Forum. Indeed, some forumers appear to have a chronic case of 'whataboutitis', giving rise to some unintentionally amusing posts. For example, one chronic sufferer recently said something like 'but what about the Irish potato famine' when I briefly mentoned the virtues of market capitalism.

Citing examples to either falsify or qualify a statement is standard practice in any debate. Indeed, it has been described as the scientific method.

What do you find troubling about that?

As for the potato famine, the market dictated the export of food from a country suffering a famine, it as an example illustrates how market capitalism in its ideological form is divorced from the interests of the people. That is standard analysis, you may prefer or have a different view, but on an open forum when putting forward contentious views you should expect people to make counter arguments.

Archived