There's crazy Muslims and Lordy there's some crazy Christians!

Jesus firmly believed in the teachings of what we know as the Old Testament. Therefore he agreed with murder.

http://www.evilbible.com/do_not_ignore_ot.htm

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)

To be fair I think in the case of putting children to death for cursing parents, I think it is fairly clear he was highlighting the Pharisees hypocrisy and the obvious immorality of sections of the old testament, not actually recommending it.

On the issue of fulfilling not abolishing the Old Testament, again I think his answer is pragmatic or politic rather than literal.

They are not Christian by my personal of what Christian means in a practical way - both of my parents and many of my wider family as I was growing up were Christians and extremely good, loving and tolerant people as have been all of the priests I know.

Plekhanov, the bible can be interpreted in all sorts of ways as you well know - and those who taught it to me in childhood interpreted the words of Jesus in a way that I simply don't recognise in the terms in which you describe it.

Halleluyah brother! I agree, the Christians I've encountered have generally been good people and well intentioned despite their belief in the supernatural.

They are not Christian by my personal of what Christian means in a practical way - both of my parents and many of my wider family as I was growing up were Christians and extremely good, loving and tolerant people as have been all of the priests I know.

Plekhanov, the bible can be interpreted in all sorts of ways as you well know - and those who taught it to me in childhood interpreted the words of Jesus in a way that I simply don't recognise in the terms in which you describe it.

Yes, I would agree with that.

It seems perfectly reasonable to denounce Fred Phelps for being unChristian, just as it does the tea party movement, for that matter.

Yes, I would agree with that.

It seems perfectly reasonable to denounce Fred Phelps for being unChristian, just as it does the tea party movement, for that matter.

The problem is there's no reason whatsoever to believe that one version of Christianity is more true or valid or Christian than any other, due to the extremely subjective nature of religion. If they believe Jesus was the son of god and get their worldview from interpreting the bible then they have exactly the same right to claim the title Christian as anyone else who does those things.

Basically, Fred Phelps is just as right when he says that people like Halibut are not Christians as Halibut is when he says Fred Phelps is not a Christian. From his point of view (which has just as much to back it up as Halibut's) it "seems perfectly reasonable to denounce" Halibut for being unChristian.

so it's just some kind of let's-pick-a-place-to-picket-we'll-call-it-gay-later sort of thing.

i still do have a sneaky suspicion that this is some social experiment gone too far. how can people be like this?

Have a little read of his son's story, I found it very interesting, if somewhat depressing, but at least it has a (relatively) happy ending, and it gives a little more of an insight into what kind of a man Fred Phelps is.

What Phelps does is wrong and everyone agrees that what he does is vile, ...

A Christian as you know is someone who follows the teaching of Jesus who said we shouldn't even call people "fool." Phelps does far more than that, in other words he is not following the teaching of Jesus.

My bold

You've repeated your insult of Phelps - according to your definition above, does that not mean that you're not a Christian, either??

Have a little read of his son's story, I found it very interesting, if somewhat depressing, but at least it has a (relatively) happy ending, and it gives a little more of an insight into what kind of a man Fred Phelps is.
My bold

I'd say it was unbelievable, if I hadn't seen what him and his followers get up to!

Archived