Are we safe in Hotels these days?

I have always felt safe in hotels, but even last year I was put off staying in a single room by myself - staff have pass keys and now magnetic cards - I wonder who actually is allowed to have them

Ladies, would you feel safe staying in an hotel room by yourself?

I have always felt safe in hotels, but even last year I was put off staying in a single room by myself - staff have pass keys and now magnetic cards - I wonder who actually is allowed to have them

Ladies, would you feel safe staying in an hotel room by yourself?

I don't feel safe in the house, so a hotel a no go for me.

I used to stay in hotels on business a lot and there were certainly places I stayed where I felt very vulnerable, not just because of staff with pass keys but with not feeling personally safe in lifts, foyers and corridors too.

There were a few of the larger hotels that I stayed in that had a couple of floors set aside for lone women travellers which had much higher security on them and that was a reassurance for most of my issues. Things like needing a key to get out of the lift on those floors, increased door locks on the rooms with CCTV set up so you could see properly who was outside your room if someone knocked, that sort of thing.

It was a shocking incident and I feel very sorry for the family and friends of the murdered lady.

But to put it into perspective:

How many women stay in hotel rooms each year worldwide? (And remember, she was sharing the room with her husband.)

How many women are assaulted/murdered in their hotel rooms each year?

How many women are assaulted/murdered in their own homes each year?

When we are at home we are responsible for taking safety measures, matters are in our own hands - our lives at holiday homes or hotels are in the hands of others in a way, relying on them for our security - it is very worrying

Archived