Are we safe in Hotels these days?

Lol.

Staying in a hotel was part of the job I did in the early 2000's so it really didn't bother me, as someone else had said, I used to lock the door behind me, do all the heebie jeebie checks when I put my clothes away etc if I got them, which wasn't very often. Bizarrely when I didn't live alone, I used to get them all the time at home. Thankfully as i've lived alone for several years now, it's very rare i get them.

Anyway two funny? stories that happened to me- on the same day.

I stayed at this hotel in Richmond. I arrived late and it wasn't my usual hotel there. The lady said "You are in the student room."

Oh my god. Single bed, dodgy mattress, no en suite, the bathroom was right down a corridor and a yale lock on the door with only one screw in it when there should have been four. Plus it was right under the flight path.

Stayed there two nights. On the second night, after no sleep the first night, I had a few drinks so I'd sleep, which I did. I was working in central London at 7 so I got up at 5, ran down to the shower in my nightie and then came back.

There was a note under my door. I didn't think much of it, just presumed it would be my invoice with leaving early. However when I looked at it, it said, "If you want to have some fun, look out of the window!" :o

It was five in the morning.... I was completely freaked... and naked!

I got dressed really quickly and checked out! Phoned my accomodation person and asked her never to book me in there again.

That night I was travelling to Bluewater, it had been a long day and I was exhausted. I was staying in an Ibis so was eager to get there, and chill out.

I booked in the hotel, went up to my room, walked in and there was a man sat on the bed! Luckily, just watching telly and dressed!

So I went back down and spoke to reception!

Both on the same day!

I checked the lock that night!!!

Creepy i'll bet you have never been back since.

Are we safe in hotel rooms ? Answer of course we are. Something like what happended in Mauritius is an isolated incident and when it does happen is makes headline news. Looking at the resort that this couple where staying in the property does look easily accessible and very easy for someone to enter the property and have a wonder round, your typical beach front resort type of hotel. The same with the British couple who where honeymooning in Antigua and where shot during what i think was a robbery at the resort they where staying in. These type of " honeymoon " resort hotels do look like they can be easy pickings for local petty criminals.

Sure there are some types of hotel accommodation that i would say are more at risk from crime such as breakin's ect than others. I would say some self catering apartment on the Spanish Costa's or anywhere on the Med would be far more at risk than say a Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn in the center of say Paris, London, Madrid ect.

When we are at home we are responsible for taking safety measures, matters are in our own hands - our lives at holiday homes or hotels are in the hands of others in a way, relying on them for our security - it is very worrying

Oh come on, don't you think your been a little melodramtic. If your that worried i would suggest you never stay in a hotel ever again.

I have always felt safe in hotels, but even last year I was put off staying in a single room by myself - staff have pass keys and now magnetic cards - I wonder who actually is allowed to have them

Ladies, would you feel safe staying in an hotel room by yourself?

It isn't easy to open your door if you have the bolt on.

Archived