Other immigrants not hated??

I suppose has to do with the intent really.

To take two polar extremes, if you had an American harvard graduate who has been headhunted for a lucrative position at LIBA or an Eritrean without qualification who enters via a truck who would the public view with prejudice?

Of course there will be the irrational hatred by the idiotic but what're you going to do?

I don't know why but i'm just watching another poetic nature program on the BEEB. There's just been a part following a tribe slaughtering a whale. It was described as a battle of brave souls, rumbling drums in the background, bare chested men, the whole Indiana Jones shebang. How would it have been portrayed if it was a Japanese whaler? Offer those same people a modern whaling boat and they would snap the hand off...

It's not what you do it's the way you do it!

i think the more unlike you someone is (race, religion etc) the more likely you are to distrust them. human nature, i think.

But, as humans are supposed to be "highly evolved, intelligent.." we should be able to rise above such banalities?

Yesterday on telly i was watching a programme called Michel Roux's Service, where he got 8 youngsters to learn how to become top restaurant front of house staff.

one of the top restaurants they used has a lot of staff and ALL are french and italian, not one english person works there.

over the years theres been a lot of hate, bile and lies spouted about immigrants in general (specially ones from certain regions or religions or races) seemed strange to me tho that a whole restaurant can contain not one english person and nothing ever gets said?

is it the type of immigrant involved?

or pure ignorance on the subject?

So now you're complaining about people not being racist :huh: Makes a change I suppose.

So now you're complaining about people not being racist :huh: Makes a change I suppose.

not complaining, its baffeling

on a sidenote, just watched episode 3 and in it, they were serving in a "curry house" and the first thing i saw upon going downstairs was the owner saying how he has to look abroad as he just cant get the staff in this country.

it really highlights us as a people, so full of ourselves but then theres certain things we DO fail at

But, as humans are supposed to be "highly evolved, intelligent.." we should be able to rise above such banalities?

for the most part, i think, we do move above it. or, at least those among us that can't learn to suppress it. the best, if not only, way is always to know those you don't understand.

PS- it works both ways; from a deep despising and feeling superior to a deep veneration and feeling inferior. strange it very rarely is just the acceptance of differences.

Archived