Other immigrants not hated??

The 'uniform of colour' explanation might have held true in the past, but it is of far less significance today. As evidence of this I would cite the fact that there does not seem to be much, if any, animosity directed towards Hindus, Sikhs or Chinese.

think you're right. that said, the Hindus and Sikhs get less grief, for lack of a better word, if they look Sikh. for some section of society merely looking 'Arab' or 'Asian' can be troublesome if you have no other visible way of 'showing' where you stand. not sure if that could be a 'color' problem or a 'religious' problem being played out on a 'color' level.

may we, when there comes a time when our views require us to 'speak' speak then. as long as neither one of us has anything to say to each other that adds to the debate, may we live and let live? thanks.

Depends whether I agree or not, if your talking tripe and purporting breaking the law, then I may disagree with you!

may we, when there comes a time when our views require us to 'speak' speak then. as long as neither one of us has anything to say to each other that adds to the debate, may we live and let live? thanks.

The more I read of your posts the worse impression I get about your intent...

The more I read of your posts the worse impression I get about your intent...

my intent is to post on a forum, as is supposed to be the case. we're going off topic. if i say something about the topic you don't agree with later then speak up. if you want a thread about my intent start one, then that would be the right time to reason on that. otherwise, let's get back on topic.

thanks.

The 'uniform of colour' explanation might have held true in the past, but it is of far less significance today. As evidence of this I would cite the fact that there does not seem to be much, if any, animosity directed towards Hindus, Sikhs or Chinese.
I'm not sure why you quoted my post in connection with the 'uniform of colour' issue, as I did not mention color, nor should my post be understood to refer to it or suggest it in any way :huh:

Certainly, 'transparent' in my post was not meant to refer to colour, but to social normalisation.

To put it across simply: IMHO (and experience, as I am one such 'import') western europeans do not "stick out" in Britain (to the extent other immigrants, e.g. Eastern European immigrants, do), because they have closely similar social values, norms, upbringing, education, culture (more-or-less, this last one) etc. to the British. Should they come here, they are just changing country and language, but not much more at all, so "integration" is pretty much effortless, inasmuch as one can even talk of "integration".

I'm not sure why you quoted my post in connection with the 'uniform of colour' issue, as I did not mention color, nor should my post be understood to refer to it or suggest it in any way :huh:

Certainly, 'transparent' in my post was not meant to refer to colour, but to social normalisation.

To put it across simply: IMHO (and experience, as I am one such 'import') western europeans do not "stick out" in Britain (to the extent other immigrants, e.g. Eastern European immigrants, do), because they have closely similar social values, norms, upbringing, education, culture (more-or-less, this last one) etc. to the British. Should they come here, they are just changing country and language, but not much more at all, so "integration" is pretty much effortless, inasmuch as one can even talk of "integration".

Isn't that the very problem though - that some people's culture, not their colour, makes them resist integration?

not complaining, its baffeling

on a sidenote, just watched episode 3 and in it, they were serving in a "curry house" and the first thing i saw upon going downstairs was the owner saying how he has to look abroad as he just cant get the staff in this country.

it really highlights us as a people, so full of ourselves but then theres certain things we DO fail at

Mel, only you could use that situation to create some kind of example of how 'bad' we all are (*slaps wrist).

It's well know that curry house owners have to source their chefs from abroad. The reason they have to source their chefs from abroad from places like Bangladesh is because they have the pedigree in producing authentic food from that region. Why would any British people, even British Asians, have those skills, having not grown up over there learning that unique style of cookery?

Mel, only you could use that situation to create some kind of example of how 'bad' we all are (*slaps wrist).

It's well know that curry house owners have to source their chefs from abroad. The reason they have to source their chefs from abroad from places like Bangladesh is because they have the pedigree in producing authentic food from that region. Why would any British people, even British Asians, have those skills, having not grown up over there learning that unique style of cookery?

I thought there was a difference between the cooking and serving people, silly me

Archived