The big fish fight!

What is missing from this campaign is the EU context. The CFP never suited the UK and we should never have signed up to it. we should campaign to leave the CFP, by seeking an opt out, as the prospects for serious reform are minimal.

Correct. This has been going on for years, I know UKIP and others including the Greens have been trying to bring it to peoples attention for a long time, thank goodness some high profile chefs and Channel4 have now got involved to give this scandalous policy the attention it deserves. What I would have liked Hugh to have said to the fisheries minister was "Why dont you tell the EU to get stuffed and then make our own rules for our own territorial waters?"

Anyway. Signed.

You may have seen the first part of this series, it just seems criminal to me that so many fish are being tossed overboard dead to satisfy the current system. I do agree that fishing needs to be regulated but the current system is just not working. If you support reform of the common fisheries policy then Hugh Fearnly Whitingstall has a website below where you can add you name to the petition.

http://www.fishfight.net/

Good old Hugh.

I've signed.

Shows what idiots we have pulling the strings.

While we're at it there's another petition not too far away that needs some support.Thanks.:)

Whilst like most people I found those images totally outrageous,it does make one wonder why the policy makers implemented this system in the first place.Before signing up to this seemingly good causes I would like to know if a change could somehow cause any adverse effects.

Whilst like most people I found those images totally outrageous,it does make one wonder why the policy makers implemented this system in the first place.Before signing up to this seemingly good causes I would like to know if a change could somehow cause any adverse effects.

By a supreme irony, the policy is driven by the objective of conserving fishing stocks. In other words, quotas are imposed to prevent over-fishing in EU waters (or rather in national waters claimed by the EU since the advent of the CFP). It amounts to a policy of 'better dead fish than exceeded quotas). Ask the people of Grimsby (and many other coastal towns with formerly large fishing industries) what they think of the CFP.

Ah, but the problem is surely that without the quota system, we had massive overfishing of cod and haddock which almost died out in the north sea. If we let fishermen land everything they catch then they will be back to overfishing. Sure, it'll not be those guys in the under 10s. It'll be some giant factory ships.

I'm usually a fan of Hugh, but he offered no viable alternative to the existing system.

What puzzles me is that they are catching the same amounts of fish as they always have, they're just not allowed to bring it home.

It's and absolute disgrace. Some people can't afford to eat fish and they are forced to chuck all that back in.

If they can't change it, why not fish with even smaller nets?

Just had e-mail from the website and 300,000 have signed up already.The target is 500,000 so please ask all your mates to all sign up.

Fishing with smaller nets will only catch more smaller fish which still have to be thrown back.

Copy from the e-mail "The campaign was actually referenced in a speech yesterday by European Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki, and very positively. We are being heard where it matter."

Archived