The big fish fight!

The fishermen wanted the limits to be imposed on the number of days fishing, with everything caught being landed.

And that would be fine if fishermen were all running small boats with limited capacity, but once you allow unlimited landing of all fish caught, even if only for a limited number of days, you encourage massive factory fishing.

It seems to me that the basis for the quota system is to simply make it uneconomic to run very large fishing operations because you cannot land enough fish to make it worthwhile.

Even on the Fishfight website, Hugh and his team openly admit they have no actual answers.

I wonder whether an absolute cap on the tonnage of fish that can be landed by a licensed fisherman might be the solution, but then there is a risk that fishermen will still haul in everything they can, throw away the fish attracting low prices and just land the high-priced fish, especially since we in the UK at least only eat about 3 or 4 types of fish in any volume.

The problem is that Hugh starts from the view that all fishing businesses are interested in sustainable progressive fishing, but the truth is that any deregulation will simply allow unscrupulous big fish processors the opportunity to carry out the sort of destructive fishing which goes on elsewhere in the world.

The chicken campaign that Hugh did seemed a good idea.Obviously anyone with an ounce of compassion wanted to see improved conditions for the birds but the legacy of spending tens of millions of pounds on new cages is expensive British chicken.Our European partners have yet to make a similar commitment which means we are left with a choice of supporting our farmers and economy or buying cheaper imports.

We should boycott wild fish and only buy farm fish
what will that achieve? did you see the part where he went into a salmon farm, it was horrible, 87000 salmon in a small pen and room for them to only swim in circles surrounded by their own excrement. It was enought to put me off eating farmed salmon ever again

I have recorded all but the first programme which I watched, the law is a stupid one that needs repealing. If you go to Greece or Turkey you and eat fish in a taverna they are usually small fish, these countries use them why can't we? If a trawler catches a netfull and has to throw 75% back then they try to catch more and it can be the same result, far from protecting the fish it is surely leading to a reduction in stock. Let fishermen sell them as part of their catch quota at least they are not going to be killing a lot of fish by throwing them back in the ridiculous name of conservation.:loopy:

We should boycott wild fish and only buy farm fish

Farmed salmon causes terrible damage to wild fish stocks. The intensive nature of the farming leads to disease which spread to wild fish and the farmed fish are fed with fishmeal, produced from wild fish.

It takes an estimated 4kg of wild fish to produce 1kg of farmed fish - hardly ecologically sustainable.

What is missing from this campaign is the EU context. The CFP never suited the UK and we should never have signed up to it. we should campaign to leave the CFP, by seeking an opt out, as the prospects for serious reform are minimal.

When HFW went to Brussels he was largely scoffed at by the unelected bureaucrats who would be speaking German now if it wasn't for the likes of my grandfather. The UK has virtually zero clout in Brussels so they won’t be changing anytime soon. They kept referring to ‘their data’ – ie. Data produced by EU funded scientists, the Common Fisheries Policy is a racket.

Archived