The big fish fight!

Dont know if this should be a separate thread, but did anyone see what is happening with fish in Bangladesh? It was on the Dispatches programme the other night. The hygiene standards were appalling.Makes me wonder if I will ever eat a prawn again.

I know this might sound ignorant, but why do we need prawns from Bangladesh. We are an island after all. Cant we fish for prawns off our own shores?

The fish fight site has a great tool for anyone fancying a mackrel bap. Just put the name and address in the boxes and they will contact them to try to persuade them to stock it.

http://www.fishfight.net/mackmap/add-a-chippie/

I think that's a brilliant idea. I'd love to get variety in my chippie, not just mackerel but things like Gurnard. Any way I've signed up my favourite chippie to see if they'll put mackerel on the menu.

Dont know if this should be a separate thread, but did anyone see what is happening with fish in Bangladesh? It was on the Dispatches programme the other night. The hygiene standards were appalling.Makes me wonder if I will ever eat a prawn again.

I know this might sound ignorant, but why do we need prawns from Bangladesh. We are an island after all. Cant we fish for prawns off our own shores?

Not too bad if you can put the latrines washing into the prawn beds, the flies and the chemicals and the injecting of prawns to one side.

I think not, sadly.
A pity, as a nation we could do with a little education and variety in our seafood. Even simple recognisable things just don't get tried, things like hake and langoustine. People just don't know how or when to use it.

The biggest problem to my mind though is the massive over abundance of cheap frozen fish that people will insist on eating. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes but fish fingers are not going to broaden anyones horizons

A pity, as a nation we could do with a little education and variety in our seafood. Even simple recognisable things just don't get tried, things like hake and langoustine. People just don't know how or when to use it.

The biggest problem to my mind though is the massive over abundance of cheap frozen fish that people will insist on eating. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes but fish fingers are not going to broaden anyones horizons

Too true Disco. People knock Jamie Oliver, but I think his 'Five minute fish' campaign on C4 can only help. I saw him going some dab the other day - have to confess I've never tried it, but I think the more people are exposed to the notion of tying such things the better we - and the industry will be.

Too true Disco. People knock Jamie Oliver, but I think his 'Five minute fish' campaign on C4 can only help. I saw him going some dab the other day - have to confess I've never tried it, but I think the more people are exposed to the notion of tying such things the better we - and the industry will be.
I don't get why people knock JO, his recipes and cooking method is probably the most accessible on tv, minimum effort for maximum output. I've tried the odd recipe and they work for me.

I think as a rule people are a bit scared of cooking fish. Its something people don't do very often and because its quite expensive they are scared to mess it up and think they need to be very elaborate with it. In my experience I don't think its the case. I think the less you do to it and the simpler you cook it the better it is. Often just sautéing in a little oil and butter and seasoning is the best way of eating it

Archived