The big fish fight!

When I was little we had a caravan at Saltfleet on the east coast. One of the guys on the site used to go beach casting (no mean feat at Saltfleet as it's about a 3 mile walk to the sea!), he used to catch loads of Dabs.

I've cooked Dabs before. Making 4 fillets from each fish and making them into goujons; the kids loved them!

We had this for tea yesterday. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/coley-korma-with-fluffy-rice We'll be eating more Coley from now on.

Coley's great, almost identical to cod but nearly half the price

That recipe looks lovely. I had some smoked coley from Morrison's a while back and served it in a quite hot chilli/tomato style sauce with pasta, was excellent.

I've cooked Dabs before. Making 4 fillets from each fish and making them into goujons; the kids loved them!

I've caught Dabs on a odd occasion and I've fried them and had them on a breadcake with lettuce, tomato and a bit of mayonaisse, I got the idea from The River Cottage Fish Book.

When HFW went to Brussels he was largely scoffed at by the unelected bureaucrats who would be speaking German now if it wasn't for the likes of my grandfather. The UK has virtually zero clout in Brussels so they won’t be changing anytime soon. They kept referring to ‘their data’ – ie. Data produced by EU funded scientists, the Common Fisheries Policy is a racket.

Saw the third programme tonight and like you wasn't impressed by the attitude of some people he spoke to in Brussels. At least The Commissioner Maria Damanaki acknowledged there was a problem with discard.

Saw the third programme tonight and like you wasn't impressed by the attitude of some people he spoke to in Brussels. At least The Commissioner Maria Damanaki acknowledged there was a problem with discard.

I'm having a major rethink about the programme taxman after coming across this article today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/13/fish-fight-fearnley-whittingstall-britain

I'm having a major rethink about the programme taxman after coming across this article today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/13/fish-fight-fearnley-whittingstall-britain

To be fair there is nothing in that article that wasn't suggested by Hugh or the fishermen themselves.

Quote from your link:

"What can be done? European fishing rules are meant to help stocks recover, but they fail both fish and the industry scandalously, heaping shame upon all involved. Total allowable catches – which are divided among boats as quotas – form the central plank of the common fisheries policy, but are fundamentally flawed. They limit landings, not what can be caught and killed, so they offer virtually no protection to fish stocks. The consequences are reckless wastage of discarded fish, fuel burned and labour spent for no purpose and the continued decline of stocks.

In my view, the 2012 reform of the common fisheries policy must throw out landings quotas and introduce an outright ban on discards. But there is no point swapping one failed policy for another. Regulations must promote stock recovery, not encourage more rapid removal of fish. So a discard ban must go hand-in-hand either with a tough restriction on time spent fishing, or quotas on how much can be caught (as opposed to landed)."

The North Sea fishermen Hugh interviewed said they would prefer to be able to land and sell everything they caught, but that days out fishing should be cut. This would mean that everything would be landed, no discard, but they'd be restricted on the days sailing.

It would have to be closely policed though, and ideally there would have to be a limit on the size of boat/net, otherwise, as archadvocate points out, large factory ships would replace small boats and just spend their limited days at see sea hoovering up everything.

Also if discard were to be completely outlawed then the fishermen would be landing stuff that they may struggle to sell, things the average shopper has never heard of or would know how to cook.

There is no easy solution but surely anything that tackles discard head-on and highlights the criminal waste is a good thing. Hopefully Hugh has raised awareness and set in motion a change in the rules. It will be interesting to see where this goes!

We used to sell Coley down in Oxford as for our fish and chip lunchtime offer, and actually had people buying the A la Carte Cod OFF the menu and requesting we use that instead!!! We had no choice but to charge them the extra money, which seems madness as the Coley we bought in was fantastic. It came in as a whole fish, the suppliers got a good deal, and so did we.

For some reason, it just wasn't in demand, yet when customers tried the beer battered Coley, they adored it, and hardley noticed the difference between that and Cod!

Hopefully chefs like Jamie Oliver, who I think does a fantastic job (although I do miss turkey twizzlers) can educate the public a little more.

We used to sell Coley down in Oxford as for our fish and chip lunchtime offer, and actually had people buying the A la Carte Cod OFF the menu and requesting we use that instead!!! We had no choice but to charge them the extra money, which seems madness as the Coley we bought in was fantastic. It came in as a whole fish, the suppliers got a good deal, and so did we.

For some reason, it just wasn't in demand, yet when customers tried the beer battered Coley, they adored it, and hardley noticed the difference between that and Cod!

Hopefully chefs like Jamie Oliver, who I think does a fantastic job (although I do miss turkey twizzlers) can educate the public a little more.

Cod would come so far down the list of fish I'd choose to have, I just don't get it's popularity compared to some other fish. Hake and Sea Bass are two of my favourites and I've recently discovered Octopus (OK, not a fish, but still seafood).

Going to buy some mackerel for tomorrow's tea.

Archived