Learning a new language - Help

I've always wanted to learn a new language. For no particular reason at all.

Has anybody had a go at this and how did you learn it?

Please help me decide a route and help me with a few questions such as:

How much of my time a week would you recommend that I studied?

Is there an easier language to learn than others?

Would you recommend using the internet, private classes, CDs etc?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

The easier languages are those which are related to those that contributed to the English language - which fall into two camps - Latinate or Germanic. There are far more familiar hooks which help things to stick, to remember vocabulary and some grammatical constructions, etc, not to mention a common alphabet! I think a key part of what makes a language 'easy' or not aside from those technicalities, is how much interest you have in the relevant country or culture. You might not be planning to go there, but if you have a passion for some element of the place, or a place where it's spoken, you'll be more committed to the donkey work.

Whether you do a BBC course or an evening class or whatever, do use the internet. Countries have TV news bulletins, radio, newspapers online. Reading the stories of the day reported in another country's media, for instance, even if it's just the headlines or for gist, was useful for me. Little and often is the way, but tie it in with what interests you.

Archived