Samual Terry match sellar in Wicker around 1901 to 1916

Does anyone have any information about him; he used to work on the railway as a plater, and lost both legs from the knee down,in an accident before 1891. He wore round leather boots to support the stumps of his legs.

From 1901 to 1916 he was a pedler selling matches and shoelaces in the Wicker.

Hi broard Harry - an interesting question. I don't remember Samuel Terry previously being mentioned on the Forum, but I do recall my grandfather telling me about a disabled pedlar in the city centre. This would be when he worked as an errand boy for market traders around 1902-04. Do you have census data? I mention this as you give the dates 1901-1916, but the 1911 census shows Samuel in London. Perhaps he moved back to Sheffield; anyway here is the information:

1901, at 6 ct 15 Attercliffe Road: Samuel Terry, age 57 "Pedlar in small ware (laces)" born in Brighton, Sussex. With wife Elizabeth, 60, born Oxford, and daughter Phoebe, 17, dressmaker, born London.

1911, at 408 Caledonian Road, London N.: Samuel Terry, 66, widower, pedlar, with sister Charlotte Terry, 55 (both born Brighton) and daughter Phoebe Allen, 27 (Phoebe evidently married William Allen in Sheffield, 1906).

Archived