Is honesty the best policy?

I thought you were on the receiving end?

If you were here and you'd caused the damage, then leaving a note with your contact details (and informing the police) would've been the only viable thing to do.

Yes, that is correct. I did the right thing by ignoring my soft nature (ie. letting them off for their honesty) and contacted them. That's what I meant by doing the right thing.

They were probably decent, and you are probably decent too, otherwise you would probably feel no guilt.

What would i do in your situation? If it was a newish car i would want it put right really, but probably try to keep the the repair cost down for the other person. If it was quite an old car i would probably let the person off totally for being honest. Maybe a compromise would be to some how show respect in some way for the person`s honesty-not sure how though. Maybe the person is driving without insurance (and was seen as as been said).

Thing is mart, it is'nt the newest of cars but I am trading it in for a new one, otherwise I would probably have let the incident slide.

You certainly have done no wrong by making them pay for the repairs - or rather, accepting their offer to do so. They were at fault and it is their responsibility to make right.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to buy them a bunch of flowers or something as a gesture of appreciation for their honesty. But I wouldn't accuse anyone of being less than decent, if they didn't do the same thing.

You certainly have done no wrong by making them pay for the repairs - or rather, accepting their offer to do so. They were at fault and it is their responsibility to make right.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to buy them a bunch of flowers or something as a gesture of appreciation for their honesty. But I wouldn't accuse anyone of being less than decent, if they didn't do the same thing.

That's nutshellish what I was thinking HeadingNorth. Thank you for your wisdom, I will buy them some flowers.:)

They have a way around the problem here.

No garage can work on a car without having seen the registration document and checked the details of the vehicle against a central file.

So when you first take a car into a garage, they set up a file on the vehicle.

If you take a vehicle with apparent acident damage into a garage, the garage may not work on it until they have seen your copy of the accident report you provided to the police. If there is no accident report (and you can't provide a convincing explanation of the damage), they will report the damage to your vhicle to the police.

The police will require you to provide an explanation of the damage.

What that means is if you bang into somebody's car in a Supermarket car park (and the StVO [Road Traffic Act] applies in car parks as well as on the road) you'd better leave a note for the owner of the car and report the damage to the police. They will check your insurance, confirm that the owner knows about the damage and then give you a copy of the report so you can get your car fixed.

If you don't do that and you try to get your car fixed, life will become tedious. if the police catch you driving around in a car which has been damaged and you can't provide a copy of the accident report, life will become very tedious indeed.

Half a lifetime ago, in Gutersloh, I went for a night out with my brother in law, who was in the RAF at the time.

When we got back to the car, there was a note on the windscreen. Neither of us know any German and as this was the mid 80s, paranoia cut in. Out came the mirror on a stick and a full sweep of the car, for a bomb. A second opinion was radioed for and received.

In the end, we left the car and took a taxi.

In the morning, an interpretor translated the note for us as "Sorry, I hit your car, please call...." So we drove the car to the nearest garage.

Archived