Full Thyroidectomy - Anyone had one? Advice needed

I was hyper and had an enlarged thyroid. I was given the choice of either the op or radioiodine. Personally I didn't see invasive surgery as a sensible first option (and neither did my consultant) so I opted for the radioiodine. I knew of course that had it not been successful I could always have the surgery at a later date.

Of course, not everyone's personal circumstances would fit in with having this. You need to be able to have a significant time off work, not be planning children any time soon, and be able to avoid significant contact with other people (especially children and pregnant women) for a few weeks.

The advantage is you feel absolutely no ill effects from the treatment at all, with no scar and none of the other risks of surgery.

I had it done in 2008 and have absolutely no thyroid there now, no lump at all. It disappeared within a few weeks which is great.

I've been on thyroxine since which hasn't been a problem at all. I just keep mine next to the bed and as soon as I wake up it's there and I take it. I get called for regular blood tests which are just done at the GP surgery so no big deal. I've also arranged with my local pharmacy to do all my repeat prescription reordering etc so it's just a case of popping in there for 2 mins once a month to collect it (it's free of course).

I had a lot of fears about ending up being reliant on medication forever, and thought I might end up fat or something! But these have turned out to be silly and I feel fine and haven't had any side effects at all. I can totally understand it would be even more of an agonising decision in your situation so I really feel for you there.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck with whatever decision you make!

Wow, I guess I don't fully understand the options at present so it's great to hear differing solutions and experience of them. I dn't think I'd taken in that the iodine therapy actually removes it (although they did say there's a chance it won't work). Gosh that's put another light on it all. Not sure I can do the avoidance of children for 4 weeks though..

radioiodine treatment is usually given to reduce the action of the thyroid by killing some but not all thyroid cells with nuclear radiation (beta particles). If you need to have it out, you need to have it out - typically when you have a tumour or goitre. An overactive thyroid can be made underactive by I-131 or the last remaining thyroid cells can be completely removed using this procedure.

I had ablative radiotherapy to remove any last vestiges of thryoid cells that could become cancerous. This may not be necessary in the case of goitres.

• 1 month later...

I had one back in October of 2010. I had hyperthyroidism which resulted in me having a life-threatening "thyroid storm". As a result my thyroid was removed. I was 6'3 315 before the operation. I am now 379lbs. I was gaining weight at an alarming rate only to discover that I was only taking 100mg of Synthroid (too little). I am now on 200mg of synthroid but the weight is still hard to keep off. I've also noticed that I'm bloated and I have a lot of gas.

I'm actually looking for a solution to help me get this weight off. I need a cardio workout plan as well as a diet plan.

Hello

I had a Thyroidectomy at the Hallamshire in 1988 when I was 27. It started as Graves disease and over 2 years I went from a healthy 25 year old to a walking skeleton with poppy eyes and looked and felt absolutley terrible.

After the operation I stayed in hospital for a week and the worse thing about it was feeling as if my head was gona fall off because of the cut on my neck!!!

I have to say that my health rapidly improved after the operation and although I'm now having to take thyroxin I am so glad I had my thyroid removed.

There is a British Thyroid Foundation website (sorry can't post the link as it won't let me but just type it in your web browser and it should come up) which is really helpful and can help to answer any questions you may have.

Hope this helps, Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Regards

:) Paperweight

• 1 month later...

I take thyroxine supplements, I still have my thyroid though

I have one suggestion, take your thyroxine when you wake up in the morning rather than when you go to bed, unless of course your doctor advises you differently

I found out the hard way that taking it last thing at night kept me awake all night

Hi everybody.

I've read this thread with great interest and whereas I've nothing of any use to add to it, I just want to wish you the very best of luck for Thursday, Titian.........not that you'll need it.......and very best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Thank-you for this thread, I am currently waiting for an ultrasound on my thyroid. I have difficulty swallowing and feel constant pressure on my windpipe. the worst bit for me is the wait at the moment. I would love to hear how you get on after the op, and the very best of luck with it all. x

Thanks for all the kind wishes. I'm a little nervous right now and don't really know what to do with myself. Terrified would be a fair description of how I feel at this moment.

I am looking forward to being able to breathe properly though and wondering how that will feel after all this time.

Archived