Full Thyroidectomy - Anyone had one? Advice needed

Update:

All went well, op took around 3 hours and worse part was waking up as they were pulling out the tube from my throat, so i awoke thinking I was choking.

Just got home, quite sore but no damage to parathyroids thankfully, so no calcium. 175 micrograms of thyroxine started today and all bloods fine. Two bolts in my neck which can be removed next week.

Thankful it's all over

Update:

All went well, op took around 3 hours and worse part was waking up as they were pulling out the tube from my throat, so i awoke thinking I was choking.

Just got home, quite sore but no damage to parathyroids thankfully, so no calcium. 175 micrograms of thyroxine started today and all bloods fine. Two bolts in my neck which can be removed next week.

Thankful it's all over

Glad to hear it all went well! :)

• 2 months later...
I had a lobectomy in 94 and another one in 95 (and a lymph node clearance) followed by ablative radiotherapy at the Weston Park in 2001. So I definitely don't have a Thyroid gland anymore.

Since then I've been on Thyroxine.

The hardest thing for me is remembering to take my tablets. Because you don't feel any ill effects from missing even a few days, it can easily become a week or a month - and then you start feeling lethargic, getting cramps in your legs from walking (lactic acid transport away from muscles is compromised when you are hypo) and your skin goes dry (and quite possibly your memory goes wonky). I've presented with a TSH level so low, the doctor expected me to be showing symptoms of psychosis - I asked him how I'd tell the difference. They despair of me and my compliance issues - most patients are more reliable.

But apart from that, I've barely noticed any differences. Oh you get free prescriptions once you're dependent on Thyroxine (medical exemption from prescription charges).

Just resist the temptation to run your thyroxine levels higher than you need - you'll lose weight and go mad simultaneously.

And get a six monthly blood test. But your doctor should go over all this for you.

The Ops I had were 15 years ago, so I imagine the tech has moved on a bit, but I was out in a few days with staples in my neck both times, and back to normal after a week or two.

I'd go for the op. The medication dependency is no biggie. Especially if you can convince your doctor to get a 3-6 months supply instead of the usual 28 days. And if you find yourself without Thyroxine for a week or so, it's no bother (your mileage may vary), just make sure you start taking your tablets again as soon as possible.

Here I am 3 months on from surgery and.... not really sure what is going on. My brain is not functioning correctly to the point that my vision feels weird (Feels like I'm looking through a peephole on the world?!) TSH is very supressed so lowering my dose of thyroxine but confused by my hypo symptoms. Arrrggghhhh

And Phan..... I'm experiencing the madness just not the weight loss. I seem to get a sudden rage that develops in my guts, and some weird paranoia. :loopy::loopy:

Here I am 3 months on from surgery and.... not really sure what is going on. My brain is not functioning correctly to the point that my vision feels weird (Feels like I'm looking through a peephole on the world?!) TSH is very supressed so lowering my dose of thyroxine but confused by my hypo symptoms. Arrrggghhhh

And Phan..... I'm experiencing the madness just not the weight loss. I seem to get a sudden rage that develops in my guts, and some weird paranoia. :loopy::loopy:

I have never known this to be related to a thyroid condition, although vision can get a bit weird pre op, post op it should be back to normal... And paranoia??? Are you having a reaction to the thyroxin tablets? Have you been to the drs with your symptoms???

It's confusing because symptoms for hyper and hypo can vary so much between different people, and you can get the same symptoms for both.

Personally, when I experienced 'the rage' it was when I was hypo (am so glad this is sorted for me as suddenly experiencing extreme anger towards people around you for no reason is not good at all). Paranoia I always associated with hyper though. Are there any other symptoms? What does your consultant or GP say about them?

It's confusing because symptoms for hyper and hypo can vary so much between different people, and you can get the same symptoms for both.

Personally, when I experienced 'the rage' it was when I was hypo (am so glad this is sorted for me as suddenly experiencing extreme anger towards people around you for no reason is not good at all). Paranoia I always associated with hyper though. Are there any other symptoms? What does your consultant or GP say about them?

They have finally agreed to lower my dose and don't want to see me for 3 months now. I'm really hoping that this lower dose sorts my brain out as I've been feeling "detached" kind of for 3 months. It makes life fairly challenging. lol. I've never experienced anything like this before and it's so hard to describe, almost as if you are tipsy/drunk all the time.

I've started my lowe r dose of 150mcg this saturday.

Archived