What's the future of libraries?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347314/Libraries-just-privileged-white-middle-class--says-white-middle-class-Quango-chief.html

I use the library at Southey Green occasionally and was thinking about this the other day. I think, as they are now, their days are numbered. Perhaps a fee could be charged to use the services or they could be staffed by volunteers. Its a shame that future generations won't have the same opportunities as we have been lucky enough to have.

This article states that they have become a "privilege of the white middle classes" That's not true, Firth Park library is always busy and the only middle class people in there are perhaps the staff..

Although, their days appear to be numbered...

I guess things like this will inevitably determined by the Councils that run them and surely an assessment would be made of how much they are used.

I guess that where a library is used by the locals of the area(irrespective of their background or education) then it would be looked upon as a service that the community needs and uses.

I guess if there are libraries that are not used and the costs to staff them outweigh the usefulness of the library then I guess that some councils may think the libraries are not good value for money.

Having said that whenever I go in to any of our libraries they always seem to be used and I see a different mix of people using them all the time.

I guess things like this will inevitably determined by the Councils that run them and surely an assessment would be made of how much they are used.

Sadly it is one of those measurements that is really hard to make. The value of a library is beyond measurement, and at what point do we measure?

Does one put money into the system, buy new books and new equipment and then measure the use? I doubt that will happen.

Does one measure the use of a library that has only old books and tired old slow computers, and then use that as an example of why it should be shut?

It is one of those topics that is really hard to comment on. I'd hate to see them shut, but on the other hand I go into Crystal Peaks library and leave after 10 minutes, there is nothing in there that I value, but maybe someone else has a different opinion because it can be quite busy. The history section of the Central Library is wonderful if I need something deeper than I can find online, but if I want casual fiction or something I can find books online for the price of my bus fare sometimes. It's hard to see the future of libraries.

Sadly it is one of those measurements that is really hard to make. The value of a library is beyond measurement, and at what point do we measure?

Does one put money into the system, buy new books and new equipment and then measure the use? I doubt that will happen.

Does one measure the use of a library that has only old books and tired old slow computers, and then use that as an example of why it should be shut?

It is one of those topics that is really hard to comment on. I'd hate to see them shut, but on the other hand I go into Crystal Peaks library and leave after 10 minutes, there is nothing in there that I value, but maybe someone else has a different opinion because it can be quite busy. The history section of the Central Library is wonderful if I need something deeper than I can find online, but if I want casual fiction or something I can find books online for the price of my bus fare sometimes. It's hard to see the future of libraries.

Dont you think you can measure the efficacy by the number of people who walk through the door and take out books and when satisfaction questionnaires are completed by the users to give feedback about what they think of the service?

As someone who actually works in the Library Management industry - specifically writing software for managing libraries - they are dying unfortunately :( From what I understand, it is a combination of lack of financing for libraries to buy new stock and people preferring to access information on the internet instead of physically going to the library. There's also the whole thing with eBooks taking off and starting to get preferred instead of real physical books [Which I can fully understand for some kinds of books, but I personally will always prefer dead-tree novels to electronic ones]. It's not good at all, but from the point of view of a company that supplies to the libraries they do appear to be dying out :(

Thats a shame as the other side to libraries is the community spirit that they have, people often meeting others in their communities in the local library. I guess the schools would miss out too as many a day I see the library at Broomhill with local school children .

Dont you think you can measure the efficacy by the number of people who walk through the door and take out books and when satisfaction questionnaires are completed by the users to give feedback about what they think of the service?

To a degree, but I don't believe in surveys. Surveys only tell you the answers of people willing to answer surveys. :)

I can see the death of smaller libraries, but I hope that could be compensated with a growth of mobile libraries. I think it would be an awful shame for people to lose them as an entity.

Well here on the Isle of Wight libraries are going to die unfortunately as the Council are closing all but 2 of the 11 libraries we have.

I don't know about in Sheffield but here libraries are used for other things than just taking out books - people use them to use the internet to look for and apply for jobs; various groups use rooms to have coffee mornings/meetings and there are also children's groups, school children use them and of course people use them for research.

Also of course the Island has lots of rural areas with no public transport available so the loss of the library in many areas is going to be a really large loss for the elderly but are our uncaring Council bothered - not a jot! All they are interested in is saving the pennies!

Yes. Our libraries are used for other things as well.Most have access to the internet and some of these are the only places that people can use internet if they dont have it at home. They are used a lot for job searches and research.

One of the big plusses for me when I moved here was the locality of Hillsborough Library. I visit at least once a week, mainly to borrow books, but I've used some of the free genealogical resources on their pc system. I sometimes just sit and read the papers. Its a lovely old building, in a great setting. They have coffee mornings, and host the odd community meeting as well.

I'd be disappointed if many libraries have to close, but if people aren't using them, or encouraging their children to use them then sadly I think that will be their fate. I'm so pleased my d-i-l has been taking my small grandchildren to their local library, they've both been into books from a very early age. The four year old is reading quite well already and can recognise lots of words and asks to visit the library.

Although modern technology can be blamed to an extent for the demise of books and libraries, there have always been homes where books and reading aren't valued.

Archived