What's the future of libraries?

The new library is the net. You don't get loons spreading STD's and flu all over you. We all know that. Shut 'em down. Give everybody free comps and BB from the money saved. Anybody who flogs the comp, gets a week working with the lizard shape shifters help group.

The new library is the net. You don't get loons spreading STD's and flu all over you. We all know that. Shut 'em down. Give everybody free comps and BB from the money saved. Anybody who flogs the comp, gets a week working with the lizard shape shifters help group.

STDs from library books ?? :o

Have you been borrowing the 'under the counter' stuff ? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347314/Libraries-just-privileged-white-middle-class--says-white-middle-class-Quango-chief.html

I use the library at Southey Green occasionally and was thinking about this the other day. I think, as they are now, their days are numbered. Perhaps a fee could be charged to use the services or they could be staffed by volunteers. Its a shame that future generations won't have the same opportunities as we have been lucky enough to have.

This article states that they have become a "privilege of the white middle classes" That's not true, Firth Park library is always busy and the only middle class people in there are perhaps the staff..

Although, their days appear to be numbered...

My bold

That was my first thought! I wondered if I was suddenly living in a white, middle-class enclave and hadn't noticed!! :hihi:

Libraries offer much more than just books these days - access to PCs and the internet for a start - which are well used by people who can't afford to just go and buy themselves a PC. The ones at Firth Park always seem to be well used, especially by younger people who I assume are school children from poorer backgrounds.

I believe they have regular reading groups for younger children and you can rent out a DVD or talking book very cheaply.

Libraries are wonderful places and should be saved. Not everyone has access to the internet or wants to read ebooks, especially the older generation who probably use libraries more than most.

But they do have to move with the times and innovate. Hiring out DVDs and music for instance was a winner in its time. Now they might want to consider Book groups, writing groups, story telling, performance poetry, public speaking tuition, meeting rooms, author visits, guest speakers, film nights, discussion and debating groups, theme nights, dating nights (provide wine,) and so on.

They should also be a hub for information, have state of the art computers and samples of new technology (with someone who can explain how it works,) and provide free basic computer courses.

I see them as the centre of the community, and a very important resource.

From the library toilets. And disgusting people who thumb the books. Who don't wash their six fingers from said toilets.

It would be good if you knew what you're talking about. Public libraries in Sheffield don't have toilets for public use. Perhaps you might post about something you know.

It would be good if you knew what you're talking about. Public libraries in Sheffield don't have toilets for public use. Perhaps you might post about something you know.

Rosy, it is a few years since you were in libraries, new builds now have toilets.

I take it you have not been in Stannington Library recently.

Rosy, it is a few years since you were in libraries, new builds now have toilets.

I take it you have not been in Stannington Library recently.

Only every week. But yes, you're right now I come to think of it - thanks for that. Not like the days of the incontinent newspaper reader of Highfield. Now there's a tale worth telling.

A choice between librarys being cut or assential services?

We could easily operate with just the central library and mobile services.

Most people requiring information for study obtain it from online anyways.

With regards to library's being used for the community, perhaphs them closing would leave funding for other esstential community services?

Archived