What's the future of libraries?

Only every week. But yes, you're right now I come to think of it - thanks for that. Not like the days of the incontinent newspaper reader of Highfield. Now there's a tale worth telling.

When I used Highfields library there were public toilets little more than ten yards from the entrance. Just another essential public service that Council closed down.

We all appreciate that things are a little tight at the moment with budgets being cut. What's annoying is that in good times the local authorities squandered millions on daft schemes and ideas.

I'm unsure if these new electronic signs are paid for by LA's but I really don't need informing that there's a football match on, on a Saturday at Hillsborough or the Lane. I worked that out myself....

This reliance on the internet and computers in general I find very worrying.

Books are here to stay whereas computer formats are changing all the time, subject to breakdowns, and God help us if the electricity goes off like it's probably going to do (power shortages from 2015 onwards, not to mention solar flare imminant.)

How many people now have documents which are lost because of changes in technology, eg 9" floppy to 3" disc to memory stick.

And it's been proved that books are more relaxing to read, than a computer screen or Kindle device.

Call me a dinosaur if you like, but nothing looks, feels, and smells like a book. Please keep libraries going. They are so important.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to school I would go to the library on the way home to do my homework, lots of children did.

An over crowded home with all the domestic noise and stuff going on is not ideal for working or learning. Losing facilities like these affects the poor the most and will reduce social mobility.

If a nation doesn't bother invest in education, it is hopless.

I just feel sad. Many people rely on library to brush up their knowledge. It is a good way for life long learning. I don't know in the near future,how can we carry on our competition with othe countries, if our populaton is more lack of knowledge.

If a nation doesn't bother invest in education, it is hopless.

I just feel sad. Many people rely on library to brush up their knowledge. It is a good way for life long learning. I don't know in the near future,how can we carry on our competition with othe countries, if our populaton is more lack of knowledge.

Nicely put, Full Moon. And here's why others feel that libraries are essential and shouldn't be cut :

Archived