Hitler's normal speaking voice.

So you feel that you would be traduced into insanity by Hitler? You must be very easily beguiled or very young is all I can say.

You think that if someone with a Hitleresque ability in public speaking came along, the British people would follow slavishly the representation of a religious and cultural minority as being Untermenschen and collude in a Final Solution? I really doubt that, there may be a lot of talk from certain quarters, but when push comes to shove, the British have always turned up trumps in support of the 'victim'. (I would say 'underdog' but fear your pedantry and gift for turning the most innocent comment) :)

A lot of people who might say now that they would stand up against Hitler wouldn't if they had the SA or Gestapo against them?

If you think you would I suggest you read 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada or anything by Primo Levi and then think if you would have stood against Hitler. Or look at Sophie Scholl. She was a teenager and printed pamphlets against the Nazi's and was guillotined.

If you were caught acting against the Nazi's they would hurt and kill the people closest to you. Fact.

A lot of people who might say now that they would stand up against Hitler wouldn't if they had the SA or Gestapo against them? [...] If you were caught acting against the Nazi's they would hurt and kill the people closest to you. Fact.
You don't need to add Fact, I'm sure we're all aware of it. :) I agree that many people would be too afraid, and that the British character appears to have changed for the worse in many ways in the last 50 years, but I prefer to believe that we would wake up and get rid of such characters before they even had the chance to form an SA or Gestapo to enforce the rule of fear. Even in the thick of the Nazi actions, there were always people who were prepared to stand up against them and refused to go along with their policies.

I think you only have to look at the general reaction to the BNP, for instance, to see that the majority of people in this country will never tolerate the far right wing, or the far left wing for that matter.

You don't need to add Fact, I'm sure we're all aware of it. :) I agree that many people would be too afraid, and that the British character appears to have changed for the worse in many ways in the last 50 years, but I prefer to believe that we would wake up and get rid of such characters before they even had the chance to form an SA or Gestapo to enforce the rule of fear. Even in the thick of the Nazi actions, there were always people who were prepared to stand up against them and refused to go along with their policies.

I think you only have to look at the general reaction to the BNP, for instance, to see that the majority of people in this country will never tolerate the far right wing, or the far left wing for that matter.

You asked if it were possible to be inspired and enthralled by that voice, you didn't say anything about British people. If you read a bit of history Hitler's rise to power makes perfect sense.

The political situation in Germany was drastically different though. To argue that the reason Britain has not had a facist dictator is something to do with the British race or the British culture is completely without merit. You are comparing apples with oranges.

If I were German I'd probably find what you have put quite offensive.

I'm find it hard to believe..or saddened that you had to explain that considering our past history. Far left and especially far right have never been tolerated on these shores. If we as a nation ever became mesmerised by such views I certainly think that our armed forces would step in and take control, if only to protect the monarchy, as the monarchy would be in serious danger from the far left or right.

I'm find it hard to believe..or saddened that you had to explain that considering our past history. Far left and especially far right have never been tolerated on these shores. If we as a nation ever became mesmerised by such views I certainly think that our armed forces would step in and take control, if only to protect the monarchy, as the monarchy would be in serious danger from the far left or right.

The British monarchy had sympathies with Hitler. The Queen Mother enjoyed Mein Kampf and hated Churchill, preferring the appeaser Halifax. Possible the greatest breach of royal protocol in the last century was the royal family welcoming Chamberlain to the balcony of Buckingham palace on his return from Munich, before parliament had even discussed the issue (at the expense of Czechoslovakia’s annihilation, by the way). The Queen Mother was prepared to continue the family business under German occupation.

The king and queen visited Buckingham Palace during the day, but slept every night in Windsor Castle. East Enders booed, jeered and pelted the Queen Mother with rubbish on her first tour of east London.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/bookchapters/WSC/Monckton.html

The British monarchy had sympathies with Hitler. The Queen Mother enjoyed Mein Kampf and hated Churchill, preferring the appeaser Halifax. Possible the greatest breach of royal protocol in the last century was the royal family welcoming Chamberlain to the balcony of Buckingham palace on his return from Munich, before parliament had even discussed the issue (at the expense of Czechoslovakia’s annihilation, by the way). The Queen Mother was prepared to continue the family business under German occupation.

The king and queen visited Buckingham Palace during the day, but slept every night in Windsor Castle. East Enders booed, jeered and pelted the Queen Mother with rubbish on her first tour of east London.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/bookchapters/WSC/Monckton.html

The royal family and much of the so called "upper classes" of this country are largely of German decent. Probably explains all that "yaaah" business.

Archived