Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!

Oh I'm envious! I grew up in Kent and for several years it was literally 15 minutes from door to beach, with many other very different types of seaside within easy reach. I think the Isle of Wight's got white cliffs too? (Or is that why it's called Isle of Wight?!) I wish I'd known then how fundamental it was to my psyche. I feel really stuck and landlocked. We get the odd seagull overhead but it's not the same!

"The Needles" are white (well greyish white :hihi:) and the cliffs around the island are also white but apparently this isn't why the Isle of Wight is called that.

I have checked up on Wikipeadia as to why the Isle of Wight is called that but as it turns out no-one really knows the reason why - there have been many theories over the years but no-one actually knows how it got the name - Isle of Wight. Some quite interesting theories though! :hihi:

I work in Newport the Island's County town and very often we get seagulls on the ledge outside our office window reminding us of how near to the sea we are. It's quite funny sometimes when I'm on the phone and someone says is that seagulls I can hear in the background and think I must work close to the sea - which I don't!!

But it is a nice place to live :)- just marred a little by our County Council :mad::rant:- but that's for another thread! :hihi:

Archived