New Zodiac Sign

Wondered when this Ophiuchus thing would rear its head again. They ran a story like this 15 years ago when I was in sixth form. There was loads of silly arguing and nothing happened. I think it'll blow over again this time...

Whatever rubbish you think it is, I think the system familiar in the West is tied to the ecliptic, solstice and equinox points etc, not where the constellations are. It's like the seasonal wheel chopped up into equal phases. The first day of Aries is always the first day of Spring, and it's more about the mythical meaning of the time of year than what's happening out in space. The Indian system's very different, it's possibly that that uses the constellations and has a very different emphasis in supposed meaning (willing to be wrong on that though). Either way, mumbo jumbo it may be, but those involved already knew about it.

Whatever rubbish you think it is, I think the system familiar in the West is tied to the ecliptic, solstice and equinox points etc, not where the constellations are. It's like the seasonal wheel chopped up into equal phases. The first day of Aries is always the first day of Spring, and it's more about the mythical meaning of the time of year than what's happening out in space.

This is, in fact, precisely wrong. The system familiar with the West dates back to the Sumerians, and in Sumerian times the first day of Spring fell in Cancer. By the time of the Greeks, it had moved into Aries; and then the system fossilised and stopped keeping itself up to date. About 2000 years ago the first day of spring moved into Pisces; during the next thirty years or so it will move into Aquarius.

A great many astrologers have put a lot of import in the fact that we're moving into the "Age of Aquarius," but they still cast their horoscopes based on a chart two millennia out of date.

So is this the new, like, internationally recognised Zodiac thing now?

I never believed in any of this stuff anyway but I think this whole saga has just killed it.

Also the ones on Wikipedia are totally different to what you just said, even the new ones.

So is this the new, like, internationally recognised Zodiac thing now?.

It has always been the recognised Zodiac by astronomers; but astronomers don't care one iota about the Zodiac, except insofar as they need to locate things in the sky.

Astrologers will continue to ignore it, as they have since the time of the ancient Greeks.

Archived