Recommend a good garage/mechanic in Sheffield - no advertising/jobs

There is/was a mechanic active on this forum who does home visits, maybe others have had experience with him. It might be worth using the search function on here to see if you can find out?

I hope it doesn't have 650000 miles on the clock by the way, that is an awful lot for a car like that! ;)

yeah I was hoping one might pop in and give me a quote :D

OOPS I mean 65,000:hihi:

It could be a wheel bearing, but it could be something as simple as a piece of gravel wedged somewhere inside bits that are rolling. I had something similar with one of my SAABs that turned out to be a piece of someone else's broken windscreen wedged in a bit of the brake caliper that caught on the inside of the alloy wheel as it rotated. It cost £20 for someone to take a look and as soon as they removed the wheel it fell out.

Sorry I can't recommend anybody- I have a leased car now which has to go back to a dealership so I have no recent experience.

I really hope it is something as simple as gravel, my drive way is gravel so could well be. Never really crossed my mind up till today. I will keep my fingers crossed and try to get it in my local garage in the morning and if anything worse will have to sort Monday.

I will be applying an NHS lease car in a about 4-6 months time

thanks

Edited by lubylou12

The gravel sounds like your brake pads are down to the metal so theres no pad left !

When metal particles grind off your disc they contaminate the abs sensor as it magnetic , gives the abs sensor a false reading !

You need new brake pads imo !!

ABS ring? not to clear from your description.

it says ABS light:)

---------- Post added 23-04-2016 at 11:31 ----------

The gravel sounds like your brake pads are down to the metal so theres no pad left !

When metal particles grind off your disc they contaminate the abs sensor as it magnetic , gives the abs sensor a false reading !

You need new brake pads imo !!

oh thank you that also sounds like a good explanation. As that sound and crunching happens a lot when braking hard.

I have got in booked in my local garage in 30 mins for a diagnostic, fingers crossed its something cheap. :)

---------- Post added 23-04-2016 at 11:33 ----------

Hi thanks I watched this yesterday, that how I came up with my conclusion :hihi:

---------- Post added 23-04-2016 at 12:19 ----------

Mechanic just took it for a drive, no charge as they close at 1 and can't do full diagnosis today

Edited by lubylou12

Sorry to hear that luby, it is a risk to buy older cars unfortunately, they simply are often in more need of TLC (ie money) for maintenance than their younger counterparts. I have owned around 10 cars over the last 14 years and most of the cars I bought for a bargain ended up to be a miss-buy. (Including and especially my first ever car that I bought of my Mum!)