Recommend a good garage/mechanic in Sheffield - no advertising/jobs

Make sure negative black lead is connected to car body work from battery, these can snap off. As said must be some connection problem or fuse if you have put new battery on. Faulty ignition switch?? Does your key fob open central locking when you press button, this may prove your battery is connected.

Yeh - was put on a tester and was showing fully charged.

When I unhooked the charger cables, the dashboard lights started to fade?

The only way we could get it started was if it was on the jump leads for 10 mins, all dashboard lights were lit, then roll it down the hill and jump it as the engine wouldn't turn over.

Although, when changing the battery the leads were tightened up as much as I could, but they could wiggle (if that makes sense).

So thinking I've bought a new battery for nothing as the old one was probably fine :confused:

I dunno if a garage would charge to look at it - just my other half has lost his job so money is quite tight at the moment.... :(

I have heard lots of good things about this Nick Thompson. Do you know the name of his garage?. Isit just VAG or all German cars. Looking for someone to look at my merc.

With it being a diesel it could need new glow plugs.

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 13:16 ----------

also is it clicking when you try to turn the key?