Smelly Herberts - Why are there more of these people around?

Up until about 5 years ago, the problem of smelly herberts appeared to be a thing of the past, people had mastered the art of soap and water, and toothpaste and toothbrush

However in 2011, it seems these are becoming forgotton skills - is it time the council lauched an awareness campain into soap and water?

YOu can buy soap for less than 50p and deodorant can be bought from poundland. PLus you can by cheap clothes from places like Primark. This problem appears to be a real problem on the buses and especially certain bus routes

Why is this problem getting worse, are people losing their self respect?

Smelly Herberts... is that a technical term?

You say these people have no self respect but you have no idea what their personal circumstances and situation may be, is it not even more disrespectful to call them "Smelly Herberts"?

I don't think we have the right to judge people we don't even know.

Up until about 5 years ago, the problem of smelly herberts appeared to be a thing of the past, people had mastered the art of soap and water, and toothpaste and toothbrush

However in 2011, it seems these are becoming forgotton skills - is it time the council lauched an awareness campain into soap and water?

YOu can buy soap for less than 50p and deodorant can be bought from poundland. PLus you can by cheap clothes from places like Primark. This problem appears to be a real problem on the buses and especially certain bus routes

Although no one likes to get down wind of someone who's a bit whiffy, they're adults and if that's how they wish to go about their life, then nasty as it is on our noses, you have to let them get on with it I guess.

What gets my goat though is scruffy looking kids. I can't stand to see kids with scrubby, ill fitting clothes with their hair all a mess and covered in muck/dinner etc. There's no excuse for that in my eyes and their parents should be ashamed.

You can pick kids clothes up for next to nothing these days from Primarny, Supermarkets, even places like ebay and on here etc. No excuse for letting your kids go unkept. A few baby wipes or a bath every now and again and they'd be half way there. I just think it's cruel and opening them up for bullying.

No matter how skint I was, I would go without one hundred and one things before I deprived my son of the basics.

Name and shame

Although no one likes to get down wind of someone who's a bit whiffy, they're adults and if that's how they wish to go about their life, then nasty as it is on our noses, you have to let them get on with it I guess.

What gets my goat though is scruffy looking kids. I can't stand to see kids with scrubby, ill fitting clothes with their hair all a mess and covered in muck/dinner etc. There's no excuse for that in my eyes and their parents should be ashamed.

You can pick kids clothes up for next to nothing these days from Primarny, Supermarkets, even places like ebay and on here etc. No excuse for letting your kids go unkept. A few baby wipes or a bath every now and again and they'd be half way there. I just think it's cruel and opening them up for bullying.

No matter how skint I was, I would go without one hundred and one things before I deprived my son of the basics.

My BOLD.....

I agree with you on pretty much all of the above, I hate to see a scruffy child and always ensure to make my daughter look ten times better than me, but kids get mucky, it's a fact of life, if a child drops dinner down her front, or splashes in a puddle while your out there's just about nothing you can do about it, there is the option of carrying a suitcase around with you full of their clothes so that everytime they get mucky you could change them but that's not practical is it? Children should be left to be children and part of that is to have fun splashing in puddles and getting mucky....

To add to the thread and your comment though, I hate walking around and seeing kids (Usually babies as well :huh:) in cold weather with insufficient clothing, such as no socks, no coat etc....If I had any powers at all I would immediately take the children from their parents and give them to someone who will love them and not just use them for more benefits....

Agree totally luv, the Tram is another place you'll find this breed of folk. Nasty smells, emitted from young and old alike. The saying travelling with the great unwashed is what you get when travelling on public transport. One in particular? City road. He is totally imune to his own scent that comes with the job? Not his fault but hell don't we know when he's travelling! Lol bless him x

Archived