What's the difference between a UK Registration Certificate and V5?

I'm selling a vehicle tomorrow (I hope!) and I've just dug out the documents.

I have a UK Registration Certificate and a V5 document, I don't remember getting the Registration Certificate but I think it must have come some time after the V5.

Does it matter which one I send off to the DVLA?

The registration certificate is the V5. V5C i think is the full code for it. It's that that you need to send to the dvla (just the first page) if you sell your vehicle.

Thanks andygardener, I'll use that then.

The one I've just bought only came with UK Registration Certificate - now I'm worried :(

Thanks andygardener, I'll use that then.

The one I've just bought only came with UK Registration Certificate - now I'm worried :(

Did they give you the new keepers suplement from the V5?

The full V5 for your new vehicle is sent out by the DVLA once they have recieved it back from the previous owner, processed it an sent it back out to you, can take weeks, with my last van it took about 6 weeks for the V5 to come through which is why they should have given you the new keepers supplement as a sort of temporary v5 till the new on comes through.

Did they give you the new keepers suplement from the V5?

I've got the new keepers supplement from the Registration Certificate - this is why I'm puzzled about these two documents, they are more or less identical, just designed a little differently, and for the vehicle I'm selling I have one of each :confused:

I've got the new keepers supplement from the Registration Certificate - this is why I'm puzzled about these two documents, they are more or less identical, just designed a little differently, and for the vehicle I'm selling I have one of each :confused:

I recon you have an old one and the new one. They altered them not too long ago (they new one has a big warning on the front that it does not guarentee ownership of the car). If that's the case use the new one.

I recon you have an old one and the new one. They altered them not too long ago (they new one has a big warning on the front that it does not guarentee ownership of the car). If that's the case use the new one.
Was that after a whole batch of blank reg docs went missing from the DVLA?

Archived