LPG - Is it worth it?

I'm thinking of changing my run-about for an LPG car as it seems possible to pick them up quite cheap nowadays.

I know the fuel cost is significantly lower but I'm led to believe that LPG vehicles achieve lower MPG than an equivalent petrol fuelled car, thereby off-setting some of the savings. Also, I have no idea whether an LPG car is likely to be more prone to breakdown and/or more expensive to fix if it does breakdown and whether LPG makes any difference to everyday things like insurance and MOT's?

So, I was wondering whether any current or previous LPG car owners could advise on their experiences?

I don't have an LPG car but have looked into it...I don't think that an LPG system is any more likely to break down than a petrol or diesel one...the MOT isn't different as far as I know..as for insurance I think that you'll need an installation certifiacte to prove the job was done correctly by an approved installer otherwise the insurance company may refuse you cover...

I'm thinking of changing my run-about for an LPG car as it seems possible to pick them up quite cheap nowadays.

I know the fuel cost is significantly lower but I'm led to believe that LPG vehicles achieve lower MPG than an equivalent petrol fuelled car, thereby off-setting some of the savings. Also, I have no idea whether an LPG car is likely to be more prone to breakdown and/or more expensive to fix if it does breakdown and whether LPG makes any difference to everyday things like insurance and MOT's?

So, I was wondering whether any current or previous LPG car owners could advise on their experiences?

I think LPG MPG is a bit lower than equiv. petrol car, but this is insignficant in the scheme of things. Can't comment on whether they are more reliable or not.

It seems to be. I helped convert a friends car to LPG and around 180,000 later it still seems OK.

Advantages.

Cost.

Massive range if you use petrol and gas

Oil always seems much cleaner

Never a queue for the pumps

Disadvantages.

You loose spare wheel.

Filling up sometimes takes a while.

Can't use Channel Tunnel

They lied about exemption to congestion charge.

Not always easy to find gas.

Not all insurance companies like you.

On modern conversions there is virtually no difference in power and fuel consumption..

The insurance issue might be the deciding factor - I'm looking to make some everyday savings and will only being doing around 2k miles per year so the fuel cost savings aren't going to be huge. As such, if insurance is going to be more expensive, or at least more difficult to get hold of at a similar price, it probably won't be worth it.

The insurance issue might be the deciding factor - I'm looking to make some everyday savings and will only being doing around 2k miles per year so the fuel cost savings aren't going to be huge. As such, if insurance is going to be more expensive, or at least more difficult to get hold of at a similar price, it probably won't be worth it.

At 2K per year it isn't worth consideration. I'd buy an XKR and sod the consumption.

Don't forget your free city centre parking (in Sheffield)

Loads of garages sell LPG round here, it was always down south that i struggled to find any (or had to drive miles to).

I see the price of LPG is creeping up sharply, wouldn't be surprised if the government start increasing the duty on it either.

Archived