People from Barnsley Make Up Words

I know a couple of people that are from Barnsley, and they both seem to invent past participle forms of verbs, for example, "chet" instead of cheated.

This seems to be a popular thing with people from Barnsley, has anyone else noticed this?

Also, I hear a lot of people in Sheffield saying "mon't". What the hell does this mean?

I know a couple of people that are from Barnsley, and they both seem to invent past participle forms of verbs, for example, "chet" instead of cheated.

This seems to be a popular thing with people from Barnsley, has anyone else noticed this?

Also, I hear a lot of people in Sheffield saying "mon't". What the hell does this mean?

I think its supposed to mean "you better not" - as in " you mon't do that"

And Barnsley people have only just stopped grunting :hihi:

Oh not somebody else criticising our local dialects! How many more times do we have to go through all this ..??? It'll be 'breadcake;' and 'fishcake' are wrong, again any minute now ... *sigh* and then we'll be onto why we say 'while' instead of 'until' *sighs again*

Just listen and learn, boy! And if you can't do that, go and look into the archives instead of posting something that's been done time and again before. :rant:

*subsides, panting softly*

They use a second person singular pronoun too.

The grammar is quite good.

Archived