Alan milton dance band

tedb

• 7 months later...

Hi, It was only yesterday that my mum gave me a tape of the Alan Milton band. The recordings are from the 1970's. My dad was Alan and I believe that the surname is either of another band member or a combination of 2 players surnames. Sadly my dad (Alan) passed away in 2000 after a battle with cancer. Its lovely to see that someone remembers the band. Where did you see them? Were you a regular? Do you have any photos?

thanks for your reply - I had almost forgotten the posting.As a teenager in Chapeltown in the 50's, I often went to dances where Alan played, & being a budding drummer myself, was always interested in the drumkit & technique etc. & was often asking tips.I remember him as a gentle ,polite and cheerful giant with rimless specs. Sadly i have no photos of the band, but I would love to see one in his evening suit if you have one. Later, I became social sec. for a group & often booked the band for dances at various venues ( Gatty hall, Newton hall, High Green welfare, Ecclesfield g.s., Wortley hall ) ,with Alan quoting me for different sizes of band depending on the event. He regularly used local musicians who I knew - Roy Whitham & Harry Sharp - saxes & clarinets, & I believe fictitious names were often used by these part time musicians to avoid tax on their spare time earnings. Hope this is of interest Ted

Archived