House Price to surge + Unemployment to surge - how does that work??

House prices rise most under Labour:

Between 1979 and 1997 house prices rose by 146%

But prices rose 230% between 1997 and 2009 with Labour at the helm(Source: Nationwide).

This is of course true. It is the artifical rise in house prices that led to that phenomena called toxic debt. Where people had borrowed more on their mortgages than the houses turned out to be worth. It is people defaulting on repayment of loans that caused the banking crisis. It is very good that you pointed this out.

Brown claimed he had eliminated boom and bust. Well he certainly didn't in the housing market. Hundreds of thousands of folks bought houses at peak market. According to the Halifax they fell by 18% in 2008 and saddled those folks with negative equity and many facing repossession.

Out of interest, which newspaper and who was interviewed?

I'd be extremely surprised if house prices were indeed going to 'surge' in 2011...If anything, I'd even be surprised if they stopped falling!

the daily sport......no, not that one

The daily express

no it's not. there are two sides to the market, demand and supply.

Yes it is and if you looked at the data you would understand.

The UK recession started in the second quarter of 2008. In April 2008 the national (annual %) average house price falls for the first time since before January 2001. Price falls are recorded every month until the UK emerges from recession on 4th quarter of 2009. In September 2009 the national (annual %) annual average house price records a 0% change. It then rises by 2% (annually) in October 2009.

The entire time we were in recession the price of the average house in the UK fell. As soon as we were out of the recession, prices started to rise.

Ref: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/indices-nationwide-national.php

Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8479639.stm

House prices are inflated by demand and demand will be down if less people have jobs.

I have to agree with you there, more people want to live in the UK when Labour are in power than they do when the Tories are.

Unlike you to come out with such a logical pro-Labour argument!!!!

I have to agree with you there, more people want to live in the UK when Labour are in power than they do when the Tories are.

Could that be because so many of them think that Labour are going to buy a house for them to live in?

Could that be because so many of them think that Labour are going to buy a house for them to live in?

I'm not aware of Labour buying houses for people, I am aware of house prices going up more when labour are in power which would seem to be an indication that demand is greater then.

I've never understood the glee in certain sections of society at spiraling housing costs. So what if you can sell your house at a tidy profit, the next one you buy will surely be more expensive than it would have been, so where is the benefit?

Unfortunately there is a very vocal minority that likes to brag about how much their house is worth - the middle market tabloids like to pander to this mentality.

The flood gates have been closed that's all and you could say that Labour helped ruin the economy so less want to come here now.

Archived