Average speed camera help!!

Guest brownd95

Hi,

hope someone can help me. Im getting a bit paranoid cos i accidentaly went over the speed limit the other day driving through a average speed camera zone.

Now if I get a fine/point letter through the post ive heard sometimes you can be offered to go on a driver awareness course instead of getting the points.

Now some people have not been allowed to go on the course. Sounds like a lucky dip.

SO.. Is this breaching human rights?? Its not fair if i cannot go on the course. Where do I stand??

Please help,,,

Brownd95

Then start a thread about it. Until that time relax, you don't want to end up with an ulcer now do you (don't worry about the ulcer by the way, it hasn't happened yet).

Hmmmmmm...

The OP is deluded if they think that the issue is covered in the ECHR.

They have a serious case of it's not fair and they should really go back to mummys house under the bridge. ;)

Moved to General Discussions and merged into your previous thread. Please don't cross post and don't start threads in Sheffield Discussions when they're obviously meant to be elsewhere, because after a while of being nice and moving your threads you'll just find them being removed instead.

Just to clarify, you said that you exceeded the speed limit in an area covered by average speed cameras. Average speed cameras are exactly that, if you were to exceed the speed limit by say 10mph for a short period and then drive at below the speed limit for the rest or the area covered by it it will work out your average speed over the set distance. This is a far more fairer way of monitoring speed as you may have momentarily exceeded the speed limit to safely overtake someone or through a short lapse in concentration. i cannot condone anyone breaking the speed limits but i know we can all be guilty of doing it at sometime. So, just to recap, to get a ticket through an area covered by average speed cameras you must have been exceeding the limit for a fair distance and would therefore deserve the fine and the points thay accompany it. Speed awareness courses are not a right but a option some forces use to educate offenders who are not serial offenders and who have not exceeded the limit excessively

Since when is this the case?

"The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied.

The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed. "

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200001/ldhansrd/vo010312/text/10312w01.htm

"For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer#United_Kingdom

Archived