EMA to be scrapped

EMA is an utter nonsense and from my experience is just wasted on beer and random shopping.

Same as a poster above, I went through college without EMA, I worked through my summer holidays and used that money for the rest of the college year.

I funded my studying via 2 part time jobs.

It can be done - EMA is not the barrier to success or failure, the barrier is the student themself

Fact is, most students are a waste of space and will look for any excuse to blame others for there own failings.

I do know the students well - I am one of the more popular Tutors, so I often get first hand of what they think, as many feel comfy confiding in me

But why would 6th formers at any college need it for meals? We both work, yet our children had to take home made sandwiches,even in the 6th form, just as we do ourselves to work. Its the only way to make ends meet. And they certainly don't need £30 for stationary a week. Don't they get 40p bus fares in Sheffield, thats £4-£8 a week, if you have to get a bus atall.

And what happened to getting a Saturday job? Part time jobs are there if you want them.

It simply goes on beer money, rarely goes on studying.

I should know, I'm a Lecturer at Sheff College.

Most courses simply pass the time on, until the students become pregnant by any one of a dozen fathers.

The Beauty Students - gobbing and swearing at the tram stops and also in the canteens

God I'd love you as a teacher-bet you inspire a huge amount of self confidence in your students :?

EMA is an utter nonsense and from my experience is just wasted on beer and random shopping.

Same as a poster above, I went through college without EMA, I worked through my summer holidays and used that money for the rest of the college year.

Ok what if you have a mom and dad who spends your Child benefit on wine and cider and you get no money from them to get to college?

So those that have a **** life already are gonna have an even <REMOVED> life because they can't afford to even get to college.

Not every family is a one boy one girl with a caring mom and dad you know, maybe you should consider stuff like this before jumping to conclusions.

Congratulations for having a mom and dad who are bothered about your future but it's not like that for everyone.

God I'd love you as a teacher-bet you inspire a huge amount of self confidence in your students :?

I am one of the more popular Tutors, hence the reason the students confide and so I get to listen to their concerns.

What I say, and what I think when at work are two completely different things

Ok what if you have a mom who spends your Child benefit on wine and you get no money from her to get to college?

So those that have a **** life already are gonna have an even <REMOVED> life because they can't afford to even get to college.

Not every family is a one boy one girl with a caring mom and dad you know, maybe you should consider stuff like this before jumping to conclusions.

Then they get off their bottoms and get a job.

Simple

But are they going to get an extra £30 a week beer money?

I saw on the news tonight a group of 'protesting' students saying that if they lost their beer money, they wouldn't bother going to college.

Not a problem. They can go and get jobs as self-employed media moguls.

There was a poll done that said 30% of those in receipt on EMA would not have been able to go to collage without it.

Ok what if you have a mom who spends your Child benefit on wine and you get no money from her to get to college?

Also, if they spend less on drink and drugs, then they will be able to afford the bus fare to get to college.

Archived