Manufacturing in China shutting factories in USA

Apparently, (according to the news today) Chinese manufacturing is costing many jobs in the USA because of how cheap the goods are. Factories in the US are being closed down. The report (which focused on the clothing industry) also said that there are now 20 million people unemployed in the USA. I know the US is big, but that is a lot of people without work.

In contrast it stated that in the area of China where all this manufacturing is being done, there were 20,000 jobs up for grabs. These were all in this one job centre.

Armchair politics is easy -I know, but I am thinking that there must be a good reason why the USA do not tax these cheap imports more.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese car industry will be having an effect on the West.

Armchair politics is easy -I know, but I am thinking that there must be a good reason why the USA do not tax these cheap imports more.

Chiefly, because imposing tariffs to block out imports is always a bad thing in the long run. It's been done at various times over the centuries and it never, ever works.

Chinese goods are kept artificially low by their government which creates a problem for manufacturing in the countries that import the goods from China. Probably some kind of subsidy. It seems to work for them anyway.

Archived