Manufacturing in China shutting factories in USA

The Western companies are only supplying a service that their customers are demanding, better goods for less money. There is only one way that they can do that, by cutting costs.

You`ve lost me there a bit.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese car industry will be having an effect on the West.

It may well have happened already. Ford bought Volvo - then ignored it. (I bought a Ford truck in 2007 and thought: "Well, since Ford have owned Volvo for a few years now, I should get some benefit from Ford's use of Volvo gearbox technology.") In my dreams! Ford were stil using their 1960's gearboxes.

Geely have bought Volvo from Ford. They now have access to Volvo technology and all Volvo developments. They've already said they aren't going to interfere with Volvo's main market (the US) or the secondary market (Europe) and Volvo is making a profit again.

Geely have said they aren't going to make cut-price Volvos in China (though there's nothing to stop them from using Volvo technology in Chinese Geelys.)

They haven't said anything about not making Volvo after-market parts in China, though. They could make a fortune. They own the manuacturer and they are in the best position to make all the after-market support parts.

And they've plenty of opportunity to expand with their own name brand in their domestic market.

You`ve lost me there a bit.

Western company make thing in west.

Western people buy thing.

Western people think thing too expensive.

Western company move make thing to China.

Western company costs much lower.

Western company sell thing cheaper but still make same or higher margin.

Western people happy thing cheaper.

It's basically a self inflicted death spiral we engage in if we attach no value to things made in our countries.

Apparently, (according to the news today) Chinese manufacturing is costing many jobs in the USA because of how cheap the goods are. Factories in the US are being closed down. The report (which focused on the clothing industry) also said that there are now 20 million people unemployed in the USA. I know the US is big, but that is a lot of people without work.

In contrast it stated that in the area of China where all this manufacturing is being done, there were 20,000 jobs up for grabs. These were all in this one job centre.

Armchair politics is easy -I know, but I am thinking that there must be a good reason why the USA do not tax these cheap imports more.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese car industry will be having an effect on the West.

This is hardly news. American jobs have been going to China for years already and many jobs going south of the border to Mexico.

General Motors Buick division have several assembly plants in China as do Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz.

The reason that the US does not penalize the cheap imports is because China is buying up the US national debt.

If fuel prices rise condiderably as some experts predict and oil hits 180 dollars a barrel cheap Chinese economy cars with great MPG will sell like hot cakes in North America providing that they are mechanically reliable and quality built

Apparently, (according to the news today) Chinese manufacturing is costing many jobs in the USA because of how cheap the goods are. Factories in the US are being closed down. The report (which focused on the clothing industry) also said that there are now 20 million people unemployed in the USA. I know the US is big, but that is a lot of people without work.

In contrast it stated that in the area of China where all this manufacturing is being done, there were 20,000 jobs up for grabs. These were all in this one job centre.

Armchair politics is easy -I know, but I am thinking that there must be a good reason why the USA do not tax these cheap imports more.

Is this thread from the 1970's or what? 90%+ American goods have been manufactured in China for over 30 years now.

Need a spare flux capacitor to get back to your own time? got a few goin at a fiver! all made in China.

Archived