Buses damaging your car

Has anyone else had problems with buses damging your car while it is parked outside your home. Mine has been damaged twice luckily my neighbours spotted it and told me, only the other day I was looking out of my window and saw a bus scrape down the side of a car, he knew he had done it because on the way back up from the teminus he slowed down to have a look but still didnt stop. Surley they should try to inform the owners but they never do

Yeah, my mum had her car crashed into on Station Road last week (her car was parked whilst she was at work). Luckily there were two witnesses and the Bus Driver himself reported it to the Police too. She's just going through the insurance process/mending the car etc at the moment.

We live at Wincobank near a bus terminus. Sometime 1 bus is going down and another 1 is coming up. Neither will give way and reverse so they squeeze past each other when there are parked cars on both sides it absolutely enrages me!

yes i agree they should but dont cause they can get away with it where about are u

Buses in Wincobank are a law unto themselves. I once parked up there in what I thought was an OK space (visiting a friend, I know the buses have little room on that street but the problems had always seemed to be further down than where I parked, and as I don't live there am not aware of the ins and outs of the exact problem spots) but another car came and parked opposite mine which meant there then wasn't enough room for the bus to get through.

Instead of the driver beeping his horn or knocking on doors asking for one of us to move the cars, he phoned the police, who then called me on my mobile (and presumably the other driver too), asking politely if I could move it. I immediately went out to do so, to encounter the driver screaming and raging at me and shouting that the police would want a word with me. When I said they'd just called, he was majorly put out, as if expecting me to be in trouble from the police for parking perfectly legally. If he'd just beeped the horn or knocked on the doors, the problem would have been solved.

In that same area I have seen several buses scrape cars on either that road or the one near it. One driver knocked a car's mirror off and would have driven off were it not for people spotting it and running out to check.

Anyway I wrote to First to complain, pointing out that if the roads are too narrow, they needed to change the route or ask the council to put road markings in. There are now some double yellows in place, so I guess they did complain eventually. It's a bit of a nuisance that there's less parking, I guess, but better that than drivers giving people abuse or damaging cars.

We live at Wincobank near a bus terminus. Sometime 1 bus is going down and another 1 is coming up. Neither will give way and reverse so they squeeze past each other when there are parked cars on both sides it absolutely enrages me!

Buses can't reverse on a public road without a police officer or official banksman being present. You see driving something which is 40ft long and weighs anywhere between 7-11 tons is not the same as whizzing about in a hatchback.

As an aside, I was driving through wincobank on boxing day and found on one particular corner that my bus would not safely go through due to a poorly parked car. Despite it making me late (this was the last run of a 9.5 hour shift, incidentally), I knocked on the door of the house nearest to the offending car and politely asked the man who answered the door to move the car so that the bus would go through. All i got was a load of verbal and advice on how my bus would 'easily' fit through said gap.

So yes, bus drivers do sometimes catch parked vehicle etc. but if car drivers were more considerate of ALL other road users and were less self centered, the incidents would dramatically drop. I wont hold my breath though...

Buses can't reverse on a public road without a police officer or official banksman being present. You see driving something which is 40ft long and weighs anywhere between 7-11 tons is not the same as whizzing about in a hatchback.

so how to hgv 1 drivers manage to reverse???

Has anyone else had problems with buses damging your car while it is parked outside your home. Mine has been damaged twice luckily my neighbours spotted it and told me, only the other day I was looking out of my window and saw a bus scrape down the side of a car, he knew he had done it because on the way back up from the teminus he slowed down to have a look but still didnt stop. Surley they should try to inform the owners but they never do

plenty do but theres always the odd ones that try to get away with it. i'm sure all car drivers report any damage they do to a car:roll: if you see a bus do it then get the reg or fleet number and they can track the driver down, by law they should report it, even if they leave the details on the windscreen

As an aside, I was driving through wincobank on boxing day and found on one particular corner that my bus would not safely go through due to a poorly parked car. Despite it making me late (this was the last run of a 9.5 hour shift, incidentally), I knocked on the door of the house nearest to the offending car and politely asked the man who answered the door to move the car so that the bus would go through. All i got was a load of verbal and advice on how my bus would 'easily' fit through said gap.

So yes, bus drivers do sometimes catch parked vehicle etc. but if car drivers were more considerate of ALL other road users and were less self centered, the incidents would dramatically drop. I wont hold my breath though...

I think your correct because my bus once took a wrong turning luckily it was next to depot so It had to pull into depot wait for somebody to come and stop/control traffic whilst about 5 other drivers helped him reverse out.

Archived