Buses damaging your car

Buses can't reverse on a public road without a police officer or official banksman being present. You see driving something which is 40ft long and weighs anywhere between 7-11 tons is not the same as whizzing about in a hatchback.

As an aside, I was driving through wincobank on boxing day and found on one particular corner that my bus would not safely go through due to a poorly parked car. Despite it making me late (this was the last run of a 9.5 hour shift, incidentally), I knocked on the door of the house nearest to the offending car and politely asked the man who answered the door to move the car so that the bus would go through. All i got was a load of verbal and advice on how my bus would 'easily' fit through said gap.

So yes, bus drivers do sometimes catch parked vehicle etc. but if car drivers were more considerate of ALL other road users and were less self centered, the incidents would dramatically drop. I wont hold my breath though...

I have been on the 45 once on Sandstone Road when two buses blocked each other, couldn't squeeze past because of parked cars on both side and couldn't reverse because half a dozen cars had driven right up behind both of them. In the end one of the bus drivers ended up acting as a banksman for the other. Some of the drivers behind one of the buses flat out refused to reverse themselves to give the buses room which didn't help matters.

Both Sandstone and Standon Roads are very tight for buses but it doesn't help them when quite a lot of car drivers either park half a mile away from the curb or worse don't bother to use the driveways most of them have attached to their houses, creating unnecessary problems.

I have been on the 45 once on Sandstone Road when two buses blocked each other, couldn't squeeze past because of parked cars on both side and couldn't reverse because half a dozen cars had driven right up behind both of them. In the end one of the bus drivers ended up acting as a banksman for the other. Some of the drivers behind one of the buses flat out refused to reverse themselves to give the buses room which didn't help matters.

Both Sandstone and Standon Roads are very tight for buses but it doesn't help them when quite a lot of car drivers either park half a mile away from the curb or worse don't bother to use the driveways most of them have attached to their houses, creating unnecessary problems.

My bold

This was where I had my boxing day experience. I'd been up and down that road maybe 4 times already that day and although it had been tight, it was passable. However the parking of the car on my last trip meant that I could get the front of the bus through, but I probably would have smashed his car up with the rear end as I went around the corner.

Dont get me wrong, if you've never driven anything that long, it is difficult to appreciate the difficulties involved with manouvering on some Sheffield streets, however once i'd asked the bloke to shift his motor, I would have thought he'd have appreciated that more than me taking his car out? Maybe i'm just old fashioned like that :)

so how to hgv 1 drivers manage to reverse???

HGV 1 (or C+E as we are correctly classified these days!) can reverse without a banksman or police officer (or other suitable qualified or experienced person) because we don't carry passengers. Buses can reverse on the public highway but only if all the passengers get off first. Incidentally, a bus driver cannot legally leave his vehicle with passengers onboard.:D

If he'd just beeped the horn or knocked on the doors, the problem would have been solved.

This might not just happen once on a route, it may happen several times on a route and the time spent by having a driver locating car owners to move their cars can soon add up. Just because a car is outside a house or a shop for instance it doesn't mean that the car owner is in that house or property, they could be at a house further up the street as where they are parked may have been the only space at the time, so how long is a bus driver supposed to go on the hunt for a car owner. Also some people can kick off when you ask them to move their car, so the bus driver probably felt safer ringing the police. I have been on a bus that couldn't get through 2 parked cars and he has pipped his horn and everyone around just carried on with what they were doing and just ignored him. He then went knocking on nearby doors and no one admitted to it being their car. He informed the depot who informed the police but it still took about 20 minutes before someone came from a totally different street and just got in one of the cars that was blocking the bus and drove away, no apoligies or anything.

The other car owner who parked opposite you was the one that caused the problem and should have had the sense to park somewhere where he/she was not causing such a problem.

All I am saying is that it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident when they know they have hit a car. Also it does not take much to leave a note on the cars windscreen admitting to the offence so the owner can then get in touch with the bus company. Why should people have to claim on their own insurance due to a driver hitting them. Some bus drivers realyy should get back to learners school

The other car owner who parked opposite you was the one that caused the problem and should have had the sense to park somewhere where he/she was not causing such a problem.

Well, to be fair, if you don't live there (and I don't and the other user might not do either), you'd have no idea you were obstructing buses.

I get that it can be frustrating for bus drivers, but it's not as if people always know they're obstructing bus routes, given the lack of road markings etc, and there's no excuse for blowing their top at people (nor for drivers who move their cars blowing their top at the bus drivers).

We live at Wincobank near a bus terminus. Sometime 1 bus is going down and another 1 is coming up. Neither will give way and reverse so they squeeze past each other when there are parked cars on both sides it absolutely enrages me!

So people are selfishly double parking on a main bus route? Sounds like they are asking for trouble!

Buses can't reverse on a public road without a police officer or official banksman being present. You see driving something which is 40ft long and weighs anywhere between 7-11 tons is not the same as whizzing about in a hatchback.

As an aside, I was driving through wincobank on boxing day and found on one particular corner that my bus would not safely go through due to a poorly parked car. Despite it making me late (this was the last run of a 9.5 hour shift, incidentally), I knocked on the door of the house nearest to the offending car and politely asked the man who answered the door to move the car so that the bus would go through. All i got was a load of verbal and advice on how my bus would 'easily' fit through said gap.

So yes, bus drivers do sometimes catch parked vehicle etc. but if car drivers were more considerate of ALL other road users and were less self centered, the incidents would dramatically drop. I wont hold my breath though...

Try telling that to the driver of a bus I was once on that managed to do a 3 point turn at Oughtibridge when he realised he'd missed a turning.

Archived